CCleaner Community Forums
nukecad

Large email extortion campaign underway, DON'T PANIC!

An old scam is back, it never realy went away but has suddenly increased again - no doubt trying to target/exploit increased computer use during the current C-19 lockdowns.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/large-email-extortion-campaign-underway-dont-panic/

A large email extortion campaign is underway telling recipients that their computer was hacked and that a video was taken through the hacked computer's webcam. The attackers then demand $1,900 in bitcoins or the video will be sent to family and friends.

PS. I've also seen reports of a variant of the email that says they have hacked your smartphones camera and address book.

- Yes, I received such an emails as well (now and in the past). The scammers overlooked - at least - one thing. I have put a piece of paper over the build-in video camera. So, I know that anyone who tries to blackmail me with a video is lying.

I have my webcam disabled in Device Manager (have no use for it, and wish I had bought a laptop without one included), although periodically after Windows Updates it's wise to make sure Windows hasn't re-enabled it.