I really don't like Health Check

John 04

I am not sure how it could be possible to let the people at cclener have feedback on Health Check. I use the forum, but I don't know if this is the best way to send feedback. I apologize in advance if there are better ways, but I must say that I didn't find any dedicated channel to do that. 

Please, change Health Check!

The Health Check is made of 4 tasks: Privacy, Space, Speed and Security.

• Privacy and Space don't seem to have been modified, and they are the main reason to purchase ccleaner.
  • Speed: I guess that this should be an opt in click (or explanations should be provided). I wonder if making this task run might disable something important. I always prevent this part of the program to make any change to the computer and I would prefer to be able to avoid clicking twice to do this.
  • Security: The idea to verify if apps are out of date might be a good one, but security softwares like Bitdefender already do this job very well. It should be an opt in.  
  • The graphical user interface (GUI) wants to be friendly, but it seems to be made for children under 5. In addition, please remove all the unecessary clicks. When I open ccleaner, I don't open it to have fun with it. By default, it should automatically give the result of its survey of the computer. 
  • Your software is a maintenance software. Its concern should be efficiency and saving time when using it.

Thank you

Edited by John 04
I wrote fin instead of find.

• Moderators

Thanks for your feedback John.

You are not alone in those conclusions about Health Check.

But it's meant as a simplified (dumbed down?) interface and some new users do like it, so it looks like we are stuck with Health Check being in CCleaner.
(I've suggested myself that it should be a seperate product, with some agreement from other regulars here).

To lessen your annoyance with Health Check then open CCleaner, go to Options>Settings, and change 'CCleaner Home Screen' to 'Custom Clean'.

Once you have done that then every time you open CCleaner it will open with the old style we are all used to, (and you will never see Health Check's  simplified screens again, unless you deliberately click on it).
And of course Custom Clean gives you more control over what is being cleaned or not.
(The HC options 'Speed' and 'Security' are  then seperate tools 'Startup' and 'Software Updater' - and they won't run with Custom Clean unless you deliberately go to them).

If you have other feedback suggestions about CCleaner then you may want to look at the new(ish) ideas board where you can add, and vote on, suggestions, as well as see a 'Roadmap' of which are being worked on and planned.
https://ideas.ccleaner.com/
https://ideas.ccleaner.com/roadmap

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hi everyone,

We surveyed over 1m people after they had completed their first Health Check. Here are the results:

[+] Positive 72%
[-] Negative 5%
[+] Loved 31%
[+] Liked 41%
Indifferent 17%
[-] Disliked 3%
[-] Hated 2%
Confused 7%

While there is agreement among the 5% who view Health Check negatively, it is by no means the general consensus. The vast majority of people who tried Health Check were positive about their experience.

That said, I'm open to hearing all feedback. In the current setup of CCleaner I don't think it's possible to make a one-size-fits all cleaning flow for both the camp that wants the 'control, efficiency and detail' package and the camp that wants the 'jargon-free, intuitive and curated' package. But I wouldn't rule out a product that could suit both groups in one guise or another. It's something we've given a lot of thought to and I'd be very interested to hear any and all opinions on the matter.

@John Thank you for your comments. I'd like to respond to a few here:

• Our goal with the Speed list was to make it safe to use. The runtime disable list is incredibly stringently vetted. We only disable applications that we know are safe to do so. No risk of apps being 'caught in the net'. We also keep the master list on a server so it can be updated in realtime should any problems arise.
  • It sounds like you do use Health Check instead of Custom Clean, but you have some problems with HC. Is that an accurate assessment?
  • It may not be to your personal liking, but I have seen more positive comments about the Health Check interface than I have seen negative comments. Our users are a very broad church, and we're not about to exclude any users from the ability to easily clean up and maintain their PC.

nukecad Maintaining two products is impractical at present and may not be the best way forward, but I appreciate the frustrations that are motivating this suggestion. Thisi year we will be working more closely with the various types of users we have using the product to try to enhance their experience wherever possible.

• Moderators

Stephen if they completed the survey after their first Health Check, they may not have realised the things that will have been cleaned. Often it is afterwards that the user comes to the forum for explanations on why certain things have happened after running Health Check.

They are not aware BEFORE or AFTER that Health Check does not follow the ticks that are in the CCleaner interface that they see when they open it up. Instead it follows its own built in rules. 

This needs to be clearer, or separate otherwise you are getting people to run Heath Check as the default option at install when it doesn't follow the 'rules' that users think it does and the Health Check settings cannot be changed.

Not good for a user, not good at all.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Looking at the topic, I just have to say, you are not the only one who doesn't like the Health Check.

My opinion (and i'm pretty sure i'm not alone in this) is that they should build in an option to disable the Health Check, so normal people don't have to suffer from this mistake. 

Respect the owl!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TazMan998 said:

they should build in an option to disable the Health Check,

As said above - Open CCleaner, go to Options>Settings, and change 'CCleaner Home Screen' to 'Custom Clean'.

It doesn't disable Health Check altogether but it will then only appear if you click the button, you can just ignore HC and use CCleaner as you always have.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 14/04/2020 at 17:59, hazelnut said:

Stephen if they completed the survey after their first Health Check, they may not have realised the things that will have been cleaned. Often it is afterwards that the user comes to the forum for explanations on why certain things have happened after running Health Check.

They are not aware BEFORE or AFTER that Health Check does not follow the ticks that are in the CCleaner interface that they see when they open it up. Instead it follows its own built in rules. 

This needs to be clearer, or separate otherwise you are getting people to run Heath Check as the default option at install when it doesn't follow the 'rules' that users think it does and the Health Check settings cannot be changed.

Not good for a user, not good at all.

This is a fair point, we will re-run the survey to capture any users whose opinions may have changed.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Stephen CCleaner said:

This is a fair point, we will re-run the survey to capture any users whose opinions may have changed.

If Health Check is for 'novice' users, a sort of slimmed down CCleaner for non advanced users, how are their opinions supposed to be taken as a serious measurement ?

You don't really need to re-run the survey for what are glaring facts.

Health Check needs to be a separate thing. It should not be the default at install. It should not be running with options that the user is not made aware of.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 months later...

Does Health Check actually DO anything? I have been "trying out" Health Check since it was integrated into the program. Interesting fact...I can run Health Check, it says it finds junk and trackers AFTER I've run a Ccleaner custom cleaning (with pretty much with EVERY box checked). So I then let health check examine the computer, it finds 8 trackers and about 58mb of "junk." I click "Make it Better" button, it appears to clean these things. I close Ccleaner, do not open anything else, wait a few seconds, re-run Health Check, and voila! 8 trackers found and 58mb of "junk" is back again. Is it actually doing anything?

I would consider purchasing the full version to take advantage of the other features of Health Check, but I'm not certain it's actually DOING anything. If I run the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 10, it actually removes everything. When I clean up my Chrome browser by using the settings in Chrome, it also removes everything. I'm just not certain Health Check is actually doing anything.

Windows 10 Computer - Always kept up to date with latest Windows 10 updates.

Browser - Google Chrome - Version 83.0.4103.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Ccleaner Version - 5.68.7820 (64-Bit) - Also always kept up to date.

RobM

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RobJM said:

I close Ccleaner, do not open anything else, wait a few seconds, re-run Health Check, and voila! 8 trackers found and 58mb of "junk" is back again. Is it actually doing anything?

That is normal and is just how your computer (any computer) works.

See here for an explanation of why some files will come back again straight after cleaning, (what they are, and how you can stop some of them coming back):

Health Check and Custom Clean are two different tools doing two different (if similar) things, if they weren't different then there would be no point in having both.
Health Check uses it's own list of what to find/remove - you can't change that list, it's fixed.
Custom Clean uses a different list that you can modify, and add to. (But those modifications/additions will not be used by Health Check).
So one will find different things to the other, depending on your Custom Clean settings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,  Call me old fashioned but i believe in the old saying "once bitten twice shy" and "don't make the same mistake twice".

Have used CC faithfully for may years without incident.  It has served me well as a tidy PC user on it's basic default settings. Never found the desire or courage to tick extra boxes (just in case). The blank unchecked items are unchecked for a reason, don't ask me what the reason is :)

I believe in improvement, but also in the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". This leads me to the near fatal day when the update included Health Check. I foolishly just let it run and do it's thing. Big mistake, on my first reboot I had several nasty red warnings of MISSING FILES. Again, don't ask me which ones as i could not be bothered to note them or attempt to fix anything. My PC was wounded badly and needed major surgery :(

Fortunately for me I have Macrium Reflect and was able to use a backup to revert and restore order - phew, that was a close one - lesson learnt :)

I sussed out how to avoid it (Health Check)  and now peace and order has been restored.

A big thank you for a very useful utility from a grateful old guy who gets more grumpy as the years go by :)

Grumpy Jim.  

Hi! I installed the new version and found the new "Health" section...ok, let it do the work... done.

So, let ccleaner do what it always do...hey! it dont found garbage! strange, it always found a lot (i run it not so frequently)...mmm...oh! the health check cleaned the garbage...So, what´s the point of run classic section? i found it redundant. just my two cents.
Thanks anyway for the great software

• Moderators

The classic (or custom clean) is there to give you some say in what is cleaned.  Healthcheck ignores both the checkmarks in custom clean and the cookies to keep option (as well as running the software updater and something else which I forget because I use the custom clean screen).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
On 24/06/2020 at 15:31, nukecad said:

Health Check and Custom Clean are two different tools doing two different (if similar) things, if they weren't different then there would be no point in having both.

Health Check uses it's own list of what to find/remove - you can't change that list, it's fixed.
Custom Clean uses a different list that you can modify, and add to. (But those modifications/additions will not be used by Health Check).
So one will find different things to the other, depending on your Custom Clean settings.

@marce Quoted from my post above.

PS. As Nergal says Health Check also automatically runs the 'Software Updater' tool and the 'Startup' tool every time you use it.
Custom Clean doesn't run them automatically and you run them seperately when you want to.
The Free version runs those two tools as analyze only,  you need the Pro version to fully utilise them.