Health Check deleted 20000 thumbnails :-(

RenéM

Health Check - Unwanted files to remove - Temporary system files - files that are no longer required by your system (translated from Danish).

Such information should be trusting, but damn what happened right there.

Who has made the decision?

The text indicated that these files were no longer required by your system, but not which ones were involved.

I am a photographer and am now missing more than 20000 thumbnails in my picture folders.
It will take me more than a week to recover my computer.

What are you thinking about?

I thought CCleaner was a serious product I could trust.

I'm f***ing crazy.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that you did that.
It must be annoying but Windows will rebuild the thumbnail cache itself.

Health Check is meant for non-technical users - Custom Clean is for serious users.

A serious user would not just blindly run Health Check (or any other application) without first checking what it will do.

Health Check has a simplified user interface, and what it cleans follows it's own cleaning rules.

The Ticking/Unticking of things (such as Firefox components) in the Custom Clean area are settings for Custom Clean only.

The Custom Clean Settings are not, and will not, be used by Health Check.
You cannot change the settings that Health Check will use.
Health Check will always use it's own built-in cleaning rules each and every time that you run it.
Look at the Icons -
Custom Clean icon has a little 'settings' cogwheel to show you can change it's settings, - Health Check icon doesn't because you can't change it's settings.

If you want more control of just what is cleaned or not by ticking/unticking the Custom Clean options then you have to use Custom Clean itself to clean.

To change which method CCleaner uses as the default, and also for any scheduled cleans, go to Otions>Settings and change the 'CCleaner Home Screen'.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi Nukecad

Thanks for your reply.

When CCleaner informs that these files are no longer required by the system, one expects these to be for instance temp files and other temporary indifferent files, but certainly not important images.

It is not correct when you type Windows automatically rebuilds all deleted thumbnails.

I need to manually open Explorer and select a folder, and then Windows starts rebuilding the contents of that folder.
During this rebuild, which takes a very long time with large heavy DNG and TIF images, I can't leave the folder as Windows then stops working on the rebuild immediately.

When Windows is finally done with that folder, I then have to select the next folder etc. until I've been through all the folders on the computer.
We're talking about thousands!

Unfortunately, the work does not perform itself as you incorrectly state.

What else this Health Check removes from the computer must remain in the unknown. Evidently it is a secret.

For all the users of the world - be very careful about using a program that you do not know exactly.

At worst, it could end up with an irreparable BSOD.

• Moderators

You will not find one mod here who disagrees that Health Check needs more clarity about just what it will do when you run it.
(Some of us go further and think that it shouldn't be in CCleaner at all but should be a seperate product).

I suppose that technically thumbnails are not required by the system, but they are required by most users, especially those such as yourself with thousands of images.

I didn't say that Widows would rebuild the cache automatically but it will rebuild it.
I wonder if there is a batch or similar that will do it automaticaly? (I wouldn't hve thought it should be that difficult).

TBH I hadn't realy noticed that Health Check was deleteing the thumbnail cache(s), but there again I don't have thousands of images.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Thumbnails in many cleaning tools are usually deleted, or can be selected to be deleted (even Windows built-in Disk Cleanup can delete them if selected), and with you being a photographer that creates a problem. Personally I'd have a separate partition or secondary disk drive just for the storing of photos that can survive even a format of the OS drive letter such as during reinstalling Windows, etc. Although it's vital to have relatively recent external backups on a portable HDD or SSD that can have a compressed disk image (like a weekly backup), and/or mirrored copies (daily backups) of your important work files.

19 hours ago, Andavari said:

Thumbnails in many cleaning tools are usually deleted, or can be selected to be deleted (even Windows built-in Disk Cleanup can delete them if selected), and with you being a photographer that creates a problem. Personally I'd have a separate partition or secondary disk drive just for the storing of photos that can survive even a format of the OS drive letter such as during reinstalling Windows, etc. Although it's vital to have relatively recent external backups on a portable HDD or SSD that can have a compressed disk image (like a weekly backup), and/or mirrored copies (daily backups) of your important work files.

Hi Andavari

I am a professional and have a super computer with a Samsung 1TB SSD drive and an SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe M.2, as well as 4 traditional 4 TB data drives and 32 Gb RAM and run with an Intel i9-9900k processor.

I do not take backups every week, but Macrium Reflect Pro performs automatic data backups every single day at. 16:30.
Half an hour later, Reflect creates a complete System Image of my C: drive - every single day.
Periodically, I also make manual backups to several external hard drives.

Therefore, I will always be able to recreate a disk that is 'off' or becomes unstable if it is the Windows drive.

However, it is not something to joke about - it can actually go completely wrong if the accident is out.

Furthermore, it is not worth the risk because you lack Thumbnails, although it is very annoying to have to spend time restoring them.

Thank you for your interest.