CCleaner Installer Freezes during installation process

azn415

Hi CCleaner Community,

I'm been at this for at least a month already. It seems every time when I do a update install, the installer freezes up during the installation process and goes to a white blank screen. Got any ideas on this latest 5.6.5 update? I already uninstalled the older version and no suck luck. I even disabled my standard windows defender firewall to see if that works. No such luck. Any ideas? I have attached/posted a screen shot of the problem. It just remands stuck at this phase. I'm using a Dell Optiplex 790 PC on Windows 10 (Latest update). 

image.thumb.png.f22d7b4fb15c11ce64dd60ddf4ebb0d0.png

• Moderators

Try using the 'Slim'  installer, it's the bottom one of the three on this page:

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Download it then double click on ccsetup565_slim.exe to install.

From your description of what is happening I have a suspicion that blank page is where the 'bundled offer' should appear in the standard installer.
The 'Slim' installer does not contain any offers, so if I'm right then it should install without problem.

Please come back and tell us if that works.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this recommendation. It worked for me.  (Running Windows 10, Norton Security Suite, and Google Chrome)

The question remains, why does this situation occur?

Another work around: 

1. Execute update. The file should download and be stored in your "Downloads" folder.

2. Reboot PC in Safe Mode.

3. Access file in Downloads and execute install.

4. Reboot PC.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, TMC said:

The question remains, why does this situation occur?

It's not clear why that blank screen ocassionally happens, it seems to be an issue with the offer sometimes not being able to be fetched from the server.
That could be because of some glitch at the server, or some glitch with your broadband service.
When it does happen it's normally only temporary, and if you try again it works without problem.

But if it keeps happening repeatedly to you then it could be (probably is) a firewall setting in your antivirus or other security app.
In that case using the Slim installer almost always works.
Rebooting in Safe Mode should also work, as your antivirus would not be active in Safe Mode. (And you have no internet connection anyway unless you have chosen Safe Mode with Networking).
If you have a laptop switching Flight Mode on will also block the internet connection and should then let the Standard installer work.

The developers are trying to track down what causes it, (apart from the firewall settings), but it happens so infrequently that they can't replicate it to test, and until fairly recently nobody had even managed to capture a screenshot.
If it's a temporary glitch in your broadband service then it will be beyond their power to fix anyway.

I've only ever had it happen to me once, and I'm always installing/uninstalling CCleaner to test things out for this forum.
I probably install it 10 to 20 times more often than a regular user would.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 4 months later...