CCleaner stopped working

bil

Hi  Tried to download the free upgrade of ccleaner and it says it has stopped working (after it downloaded).  I have Windows 7.  I tried it with Trend security turned off and whilst it downloaded it won't clean...just says it has stopped working.  Any help please?  Bil

• Moderators

There are a couple of reports of it today with Windows 7, but those don't give a mesage.

Can you post a screenshot of that meaasge?

Could you also tell us:
Is your CCleaner Free or Pro?
In the new CCleaner version, if you can open them, do you have Smart Cleaning enabled?
Do you have Scheduling set and turned on?
Are you using winapp2, or any other extension to CCleaner?
What anti-virus are you using? Sorry, you already said - Trend security.

Those might help suggest what the issue may be.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Another user reports that it is indeed their Trend Micro that is causing this. (But we have other reports as well that haven't yet said what AV they are using).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

thanks for your helpful comments.  I'm using the free version of ccleaner.  But I think the problem must be the Trend security because I turned off and ccleaner worked!  Is there something I can do to allow ccleaner to run without turning trend off everytime?  Many thanks  Bil

Edited by bil

• Moderators
5 hours ago, bil said:

thanks for your helpful comments.  I'm using the free version of ccleaner.  But I think the problem must be the Trend security because I turned off and ccleaner worked!  Is there something I can do to allow ccleaner to run without turning trend off everytime?  Many thanks  Bil

Contact Trend Micro and ask them to update their definition files  so CCleaner doesn't keep getting flagged.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

My CCleaner Pro has also stopped working. I have McAfee AV not TrendMicro. 

I have CCleaner Pro and McAfee. My OS is Windows 7 pro updated by 0Patch Pro.

Just noticed yesterday that ccleaner has stopped working. I had it on automatic clean at the closing of the browser. Not only does it no longer do the automatic clean but clicking on the CCleaner icon will not open or activate the program. I have tried downloading the latest version and re-installing it but the problem continues with no change. 

Any advice or information is appreciated.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, bil said:

Try making CCleaner an exception in Trend until they update their definition files.

Also make sure that Trend is up to date on your computer.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Fred2020 said:

My CCleaner Pro has also stopped working. I have McAfee AV not TrendMicro.

Thanks for that Fred.

What happens if you pause or turn your McAfee off for a moment to try running CCleaner, or make CCleaner an exception in McAffee?

If there is a bug and it's not just a question of the AV's needing to update their definitions for the new version, then the more information we can gather the more the developers will have to work with.

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

Thanks for that Fred.

What happens if you pause or turn your McAfee off for a moment to try running CCleaner, or make CCleaner an exception in McAffee?

If there is a bug and it's not just a question of the AV's needing to update their definitions for the new version, then the more information we can gather the more the developers will have to work with.

I just paused McAfee. CCleaner will still not respond. Clicking the CCleaner icon briefly gives the "loading circle" icon for a second or two and then it stops without loading.

The other Piriform programs (Speccy, Recuva etc) still open and work fine.

Thanks.

Edited by Fred2020
Noted that I was using Firefox browser but don't think its relevant so I deleted that.

• Moderators

The best I can suggest at the moment is re-installing and using a previous version, v5.64 or v5.63, which can be found under 'Older Versions' on the right of: https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Note that you will have to use the older version in Free mode.
If you register an older version then it will immediately update itself, leaving you were you were at the start.

Maybe try 5.65 again in a few days to see if it is just the AV definitions and they've been updated?

Over last 36 hours CCleaner Professional took several attempts to load, then many then wouldn't load at all. I deleted the whole program and reloaded it from Piriform but no luck. I deleted it again and downloaded the free version but it won't load either. No similar difficulties with any other program, including CC's cousin Recuva. I use Windows 10.

Edwin Lowther

• Moderators

@Ted Lowther

Which antivirus are you running?

Guest Sandra CCleaner

Hi all, thanks for reaching out to our community. We're sorry about the error you have experienced. Our product team is aware of this issue. So far our investigations (as well as this and other threads) show that adding CCleaner to the exception list of your anti-virus should solve the issue - so far this has worked for Trend Micro and Virus Buster.  

We are urgently continuing to investigate this and appreciate your help with looking for a solution to the error. Thank you. 

I had this problem after installing 0patch.  CCleaner (Pro) would crash upon startup with the following problem signature:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    CCleaner64.exe
  Application Version:    5.65.0.7632
  Application Timestamp:    5e7256e6
  Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.24545
  Fault Module Timestamp:    5e0eb67f
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0000000000027a6d
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    3a84
  Additional Information 2:    3a844e3fff63cca56b1e2588e17d8501
  Additional Information 3:    e5c9
  Additional Information 4:    e5c9ac4a741c114e4768ab3fc188762d

I tried excluding it in 0patch.  I tried making it an exception in Bitdefender.  I tried disabling 0patch agent.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner.  None of these kept CCleaner from crashing. 

Later I uninstalled CCleaner Pro and installed an older version (5.61.7392 64-bit) of CCleaner free (the free version so I could prevent it from automatically updating itself).  This version runs without crashing, with 0patch enabled and CCleaner not excluded.