Secure Data Recovery

jessica00

I want to delete files on my SSD so even FBI or NSA can't find my deleted files. How can I do that? I have trim-enabled ssd but seems like it doesn't work. Recuva is able to recover my files. I have also use Windows 10 and checked if my trim is opened. Everything seems OK.

• Moderators

Outwit the FBI and NSA? Perhaps you need to speak to that nice Mr Putin. For those with rather less lofty aspirations, format the SSD then reinstall Windows, if you want to.

40 minutes ago, Augeas said:

Outwit the FBI and NSA? Perhaps you need to speak to that nice Mr Putin. For those with rather less lofty aspirations, format the SSD then reinstall Windows, if you want to.

Do you think they are unlimited power? I don't think so.

• Moderators

Unlimited? No, but the FBI has 36,000 employes and a $9.6 billion budget (and the NSA slightly more), which is a bit more than we can stretch to. You're quite free to try though.

1 hour ago, Augeas said:

Unlimited? No, but the FBI has 36,000 employes and a $9.6 billion budget (and the NSA slightly more), which is a bit more than we can stretch to. You're quite free to try though.

It doesn't matter how much money they have. If you know the tech, you can delete the files. I just used "parted magic" and then run the recuva again. It couldn't find anything. Seems like parted magic worked. But i'm not sure if it worked for FBI. But a data recover engineer on reddit says it worked for him. He also says he checked the disk himself and all he sees were zeros.

• Admin

CCleaner's multi-pass delete will make file unrecoverable by software.  Defeating physical forensic tools would be best achieved using physical methods.  Fire would do the trick.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

Some SSD manufacturers such as Crucial/Micron, Samsung, etc., have free SSD toolbox software that can be used (not all SSD manufacturers have them though - looking at you Sk hynix). In their SSD toolbox it can erase their branded SSDs (and theirs only) - that's how you actually properly securely erase an SSD.

As for wiping a drive to remove incriminating data which this topic almost implies due to the FBI reference isn't really something we should ever be discussing on this forum - so I'll close this topic.