Not possible to download and install Recuva portable

DrMabuse

I tried to download the portable version Recuva 1.5.3 for Windows.
On your homepage
https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/features/portable-version
you write:
"For the portable version, simply go to /recuva/download/portable and download the .ZIP file."
The inscripted link https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download/portable/ leads not to a download page for the zip file but to the site
https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download/standard
with the text:
T"hank you for downloading Recuva

Follow these 3 simple steps to complete your Recuva installation"
and it asks for the download of rcsetup153.exe.

Please tell me where I can download the zip file for the portable version for Windows 10.
Thanks for useful help
Dr.med. Joachim Elz-Fianda

• Moderators

The portable versions of Recuva, Defraggler, and Speccy have been unavailable for a number of months now.

We've asked the staff but haven't had an answer as to why they have gone missing, or if/when they will be back.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Please tell me where I can download the zip file for the portable version for Windows 10.

We've asked the staff but haven't had an answer as to why they have gone missing, or if/when they will be back.

by the way... in the meantime

perhaps download it from the german [non piriform site] 🙂 recuva v1.53 (zip)

take the link and paste it in the browser - address - bar

[Link Removed]

Edited by Nergal
non piriform download

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

@trium please don't post non piriform/file hippo links.  Anywhere else could be dangerous and does break the user license

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I found a solution here in this forum.
I succeded in opening the rcsetup153.exe with 7Zip and to extract ist in a directory on an USB stick. The unpacked direectory contains the files recuva64.exe and recuva.exe. The first one runs without error.
So far and thanks to this forum
Greetings from Germany
Dr.Mabuse

• 2 months later...

Hi,

You can try this one.

1. Install the free version of Recuva using this link https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download/standard Once the download has completed, simply double-click the file to start the installation. 
  2. Create a folder on a USB drive and name it anything that you would like. (e.g. Recuva Pro Portable)
  3. Browse to the program's installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Recuva) and copy its files to the folder you created.
  4. Create a portable.dat dummy file inside of the folder you created.

To create the portable.dat dummy file: 
- Right-click on a blank area of the new folder > click New > Text Document 
- Replace the entire file name with "portable.dat" and click Enter. 
- You will be prompted to confirm the file extension change. Click Yes.

• 3 months later...
On 21/03/2020 at 18:58, DrMabuse said:

I found a solution here in this forum.
I succeded in opening the rcsetup153.exe with 7Zip and to extract ist in a directory on an USB stick. The unpacked direectory contains the files recuva64.exe and recuva.exe. The first one runs without error.
So far and thanks to this forum
Greetings from Germany
Dr.Mabuse

On 27/05/2020 at 23:47, reMMer said:

Hi,

You can try this one.

1. Install the free version of Recuva using this link https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download/standard Once the download has completed, simply double-click the file to start the installation. 
  2. Create a folder on a USB drive and name it anything that you would like. (e.g. Recuva Pro Portable)
  3. Browse to the program's installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Recuva) and copy its files to the folder you created.
  4. Create a portable.dat dummy file inside of the folder you created.

To create the portable.dat dummy file: 
- Right-click on a blank area of the new folder > click New > Text Document 
- Replace the entire file name with "portable.dat" and click Enter. 
- You will be prompted to confirm the file extension change. Click Yes.

Just to let everyone know, neither of the above techniques will successfully create the most recent portable version of Recuva that was officially released.

The official portable Recuva release of v1.53.0.1087 was just 4,956,888 bytes for the 64-bit executable.

The current non-portable Recuva release of v1.53.0.1087 weighs in at a hefty 5,609,656 bytes for the 64-bit executable.  That's over a half a megabyte of unnecessary additional closed-source code doing who-knows-what.

When you try either of the above techniques, you will get the bloated release, and not the true portable version.

Hopefully, someday, a real person from Piriform/Avast will come to this forum and let us all know that a real portable version is available again.  Until then, I cannot recommend Recuva to others.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Pearform said:

Just to let everyone know, neither of the above techniques will successfully create the most recent portable version of Recuva that was officially released.

That's because the "portable.dat" dummy file mentioned above your post is not complete. It has to have this, and only this inside it, and then save it:
#PORTABLE#

portable_dot_dat.png

• 1 year later...
On 23/09/2020 at 23:45, Andavari said:

That's because the "portable.dat" dummy file mentioned above your post is not complete. It has to have this, and only this inside it, and then save it:
#PORTABLE#

portable_dot_dat.png

Good point, but as I mentioned, the executable files are very different too.  Any chance of getting the actual portable release of Recuva available via official channels again?