CCleaner Community Forums
nay133

Freezes due to blocked domain?

I've found something interesting. It appears when I launch CCleaner, the moment the GUI loads, it freezes. I did this with my old, up-to-date install and it did it with a fresh install. I did a little investigating and checked my network, and the domain "ipm-provider.ff.avast.com" is being blocked the moment I launch CCleaner on my system, my laptop and another desktop. And each time this domain is blocked, CCleaner will launch with a frozen UI. It's frozen to the point where I can't even move it nor close it without force terminating it. To prove that the resolution of this domain is required by the software, I can temporarily allow it through, and bingo, the program works as it always has. And what if I block that domain again? CCleaner beings to lock up again.

My question now is, what is this domain and why does the resolution of it matter for CCleaner to work?

7 hours ago, nay133 said:

I've found something interesting. It appears when I launch CCleaner, the moment the GUI loads, it freezes. I did this with my old, up-to-date install and it did it with a fresh install. I did a little investigating and checked my network, and the domain "ipm-provider.ff.avast.com" is being blocked the moment I launch CCleaner on my system, my laptop and another desktop. And each time this domain is blocked, CCleaner will launch with a frozen UI. It's frozen to the point where I can't even move it nor close it without force terminating it. To prove that the resolution of this domain is required by the software, I can temporarily allow it through, and bingo, the program works as it always has. And what if I block that domain again? CCleaner beings to lock up again.

My question now is, what is this domain and why does the resolution of it matter for CCleaner to work?

That is the server that delivers some of the CCleaner content - the notifications but also some of the UI content ("IPM" is short for "in-product messaging").  I would not recommend blocking it or you do run the risk of breaking things (as you have observed)

So the only solution to the nagging is to uninstall the nagware. A senior executive from AVG's nagware department must have dreamed up that brilliant idea. 😧

1108516810_CCleanerNag.JPG.c86553721bfdf9ba4a06a88699841a9e.JPG