Takes Ages

Hi

Had ccleaner in its various states for about a year but I had to re-install after a system crash. To run it used to take maybe 10 secs but now its taking nearly 10 mins. My hard drive is only 20 Gb. Everything else runs fine its not the system running slow its specific to ccleaner.

Any suggestions :blink::(:unsure:

Uncheck a lot of things and then run it. VB's powers are very limited and if this is your first run since reinstalling, it will naturally take longer. By unchecking a lot of items and then running the scan, you're helping CCleaner out.

Uncheck a lot of things and then run it. VB's powers are very limited and if this is your first run since reinstalling, it will naturally take longer. By unchecking a lot of items and then running the scan, you're helping CCleaner out.

I guessed the first scan would take a while and just let it go but this happens every time and I pretty much run it once per day.

I use the 7 passes option which I know takes longer but is 10 mins normal??

You probably dont need to use the 7 passed secure deletion option. It is overkill for most users. It is good when security is important, but for most people normal file deletion is good enough.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 2 months later...

This entry looks a little stale but I am experiencing the same issue. I didn't notice a problem until I loaded version 1.31.325 but to be honest I am not sure I tried secure delete before that. It appears to be related to the secure delete functions only. If I enable either level of the secure delete the prgram crawls and my network activity lights go beserk, which in itself is interesting. If I simply click on the header bar to reveal the windows program context menu (restore, move, resize, etc.) the network activity stops and the programs speeds up to normal. Click away to close that menu and the slow behavior starts again. If I just do the normal (non-secure) delete the problem never happens.

My guess, and that is all it is, is a thread management problem in the program logic for the secure delete functions. Why the network is being accessed I can't say.

Whatever the case, this seems to be unintended behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

I to am running into that problem. I made no changes to the program, just installed all the new versions. I don't usually watch it work, just start it and come back later. Right now I have been running the scan for about 30 minutes now, and it just told me that FireFox was still open, which it used to do almost immediately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

welcome to the forums shawn :D

try running it in safe mode.

to do that, keep hitting F8 repeaditly when your computer is starting up.

then run Ccleaner as you usually would :)