Unable to install CCleaner

Hello,

I've been trying to install CCleaner recently. I used to have it on this computer a while back, but whenever I tried to run a scan, it would crash. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling CCleaner, and it didn't work, so I gave up on it. Here I am now, and I am making the post I never bothered to a while back. Whenever I try to install CCleaner, be it the trial, free download, or slim version, the installer crashes as soon as I hit the 'Install' button. I've checked task manager for any preexisting CCleaner instances, but there is nothing. When I attempt the installation with task manager open, I see CCleaner run only momentarily before completely disappearing. It doesn't matter if I run the installer as admin. I've tried clearing any CCleaner-related files, renaming the installer, running the portable version, launching the installer in compatibility mode, disabling antivirus, and trying to install in safe mode.

When I try installing older versions of CCleaner, I get a popup saying that it is incompatible with my current version of windows (this is even, like CCleaner 5.4 or so)

I get no error messages at all, CCleaner just disappears.
However, when running the installer in safe mode, I get a windows error message: 
Error completing operation 0xc0000005 at address ... 

A cursory google took me to a microsoft support site, recommending I chkdsk and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic. I did that, but that only fixed a different issue (My PC would only boot successfully on every other attempt; I'd get to the windows logo with no loading animation, then have to hard-reboot in order to use the machine.)

After the chkdsk and memory diagnostic, I still got the same error message-- Error completing operation 0xc0000005 etc. (quoting error message from memory, I can boot into safe mode and verify it if that helps)

I've tried a lot of things, probably all "common solutions", none of which have helped me install CCleaner.

Below are system specs:
Windows 10 Home Version 1903, build 18362.657
AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor 3.50GHz

• Moderators

Thank you for providing a lot of useful information, one thing you left out, though, is what antivirus software are you using? Maybe it's grabbing the installer thinking it's a dangerous program (some do because ccleaner can access and change the registry).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, VareseKhalori said:

a different issue (My PC would only boot successfully on every other attempt; I'd get to the windows logo with no loading animation, then have to hard-reboot in order to use the machine.)

I've seen that happen before if upgrading an old system to a new SSD drive, and the system would still expect the original HDD to be there - especially if upgrading from an IDE HDD to a SATA SSD. Configuring the BIOS to not look for the old removed or unplugged HDD can remedy it.

2 hours ago, Andavari said:

I've seen that happen before if upgrading an old system to a new SSD drive, and the system would still expect the original HDD to be there - especially if upgrading from an IDE HDD to a SATA SSD. Configuring the BIOS to not look for the old removed or unplugged HDD can remedy it.

Cool, I will keep that in mind if it starts happening again! The chkdsk seems to have caught and fixed it, but this is the second time it's happened and gotten fixed. I never really had a solid explanation for it. Any ideas on getting CCleaner installed?

• Moderators

If MBAM is a paid version, try turning it off before the install. Spybot may also block it if paid version.

Also try using the slim build available below, but do that after you have run a SFC (system file check)

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/software/run-system-file-checker/

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I tried uninstalling 5.64 and installing 5.63, but the installer still crashed. I decided to boot back in to safe mode in order to grab the exact error message that pops up whenever the installer crashes. Interestingly enough, the installer failure error message is the same as when I try to launch CCleaner 5.64 in safe mode. It is as follows:

Exception Processing Message 0xc0000005 Parameters 0x7ffc56cd2d58 0x7ffc56cd2d58 0x7ffc56cd2d58 0x7ffc56cd2d58 

The header for the error message was:

CCleaner 5.6(x)  FREE FOR PERSONAL USE -- CCleaner64.exe

where the (x) is either 5.63 or 5.64.

I don't really know what to make of the hex codes I was getting with the error message, but the issue where I need to boot twice has re-emerged. Gonna try applying the BIOS fix to see if that helps, but I kinda wanna figure out the underlying issue here--something with the `0xc0000005` memory address??

Argh, too late to edit above post, so I have to double post.

Did some googling on the `0xc0000005` error, and I guess that the corresponding error code for that hex address is an access violation error. Some of the solutions listed included running SFC, memtest, chkdsk, and reinstalling drivers. I don't know what drivers to reinstall to get CCleaner to work (this is the only thing that, to my knowledge, is giving me this error) and SFC, memtest, and chkdsk all did not do much.

I also attempted fiddling with bios. There were no options to remove/forget HDDs or anything like that. The best I could do was rearrange some boot options and also turn off fast boot--which seems to have not had any effect. My BIOS is the blue and grey American Megatrends one, nothing fancy.

TL;DR:
CCleaner 5.64 slim and 5.63 both give me the same error message on launch/installation (respectively)
For some reason, I can only successfully boot every other time, and I've tried applying Andavari's solution, which didn't work.
I have already tried: SFC, Memtest, and Chkdsk to see if they helped with the error message, of which none worked.

I did some sleuthing online and discovered that you can run CCleaner in debug mode.

Here's what it spat out. I hope someone can make sense of this.
https://pastebin.com/C0XTrYaS

EDIT:
I tried creating a dummy `license.ini` and running CCleaner in debug mode once again (debug code 0)
https://pastebin.com/5A1XPahL

This time, I got something of a response. CCleaner still exited out immediately, but I got a screen asking me for my name and license key. I am now convinced that there is something wrong with memory location 0x7ffc56cd2d58, but I don't really know what to do with this information. I tried doing a search inside of regedit, which brought me nothing. I don't really know what I expected, lol.

(Also, on a side-note, I fixed the boot-every-other-time thing. Turns out, I just had to turn off "Fast Boot" in windows settings (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings) )

unfortunately the boot-every-other-time thing had nothing to do with CCleaner, though it was a stretch 😐

Edited by VareseKhalori

I have just bought CCleaner Professional, downloaded the ccsetup564_pro file and upon executing, a new window pops up warning about installation of CCleaner Professional. But after click on Accept, this window disappears and nothing else happens.

How on Earth can I get my recently purchase CCleaner Professional installed and running?

Mi OS is Windows XP Professional.

Thank you!

Edited by Gurusan

• Moderators

The 'Standard' installer stopped working on XP some time ago, but don't worry you can still get it.

To install CCleaner on XP you need to download the 'Slim' installer from the builds page here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Then in your downloads folder double click on ccsetup564_slim.exe to install CCleaner.

(The Slim installer does not contain the bundled offers; it's those offers which use new technology that stops the Standard installer from working on XP. CCleaner itself is exactly the same).

Once you have it installed go to Options>About and click on 'Upgrade to Pro'.
That will open a window where you can enter your registered name and key, then click 'Register'.

Please note that CCleaner version 5.64 (the current version) is the last version of CCleaner that will be able to work on XP systems.
See these for more information.
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040324931-Why-do-you-no-longer-support-Windows-XP-or-Vista-
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040325231-Which-versions-of-CCleaner-work-with-Windows-XP-or-Vista-

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

Once you have it installed

Thanks for your reply, but after downloading the ccsetup564_slim, double clicking on it and clicking on Execute to proceed with the installation, I see the same pop-up window warning about instalation of CCleaner v5.64, but after clicking on Accept, this window disappears and nothing happens. Exactly the same as before with the file ccsetup564_pro

Am I doing something wrong? I doesn't look like that to me. Any ideas?

Thanks

• Moderators

It may be a different issue with v5.64 then, some users have reported problems with installing v.5.64.

As you have XP then you can't simply download an older version from Filehippo, because they are the standard versions so won't install on XP.

I happen to have a couple of older version Slim installers on my laptop, I'll PM them to you. Look for a notification on at the letter icon on the toolbar above.

Give those a go and see if they will install for you.

Another option would be to go to the builds page again and download the Portable version of v5.64.
Being portable it does not have an installer.

Unfortunately with XP being end-of-life you are going to increasingly encounter this problem of new software not being able to install or not running.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi again,

Thanks for the files you sent me {links removed}

After dowload, I finally managed to execute ccsetup563_slim.exe and it seemed to install correctly. However, when the installation ended, and the program selfstarted, this is what I see

imagen.png.e21a9fc35649140337b29251fd1b521e.png

Shouldn't it be CCleaner Professional, which is what I payed for and not anymore the CCleaner Free I was using up to now?

Thanks for an answer.

Regards,

• Moderators

As said above, Go to Options>About, click on 'Upgrade to Pro', enter your registered name and key, click on 'Register'.

image.png

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Go to Options>About, click on 'Upgrade to Pro', enter your r

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Go to Options>About, click on 'Upgrade to Pro', enter your registered name and key, click on 'Register'.

Sorry for having forgot about that part.

Now I did it and everything seems to be as it should.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards and good health free of Covid-19.

Gurusan

I Purchased CCleaner  on 11/25/2019..  Have NEVER been able to use this cleaner.. Will not accept my License key [key removed by moderator]

CLEVERR REFERENCE NUMBER [reference number removed by moderator]

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME???

FRANCES RUSSELL

Edited by Nergal
removed key and ref number

• Moderators
1 hour ago, justfran said:

I Purchased CCleaner  on 11/25/2019..  Have NEVER been able to use this cleaner.. Will not accept my License key [key removed by moderator]

CLEVERR REFERENCE NUMBER [reference number removed by moderator]

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME???

FRANCES RUSSELL

Couple of things here.  First don't share your registration key or cleverbridge number.  If needed a admin member will ask you on public forum to private message them one or both of those.

Second, before we even get that far, lets make sure you have tried the basics.  You should be copy pasting the key and name from the cleverbridge email.  Typing it in can result in mistakes. 

Come back with whether or not this helped and, if needs be, we can get an admin to help you.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com