CCleaner browser has taken over

Mike8

I've been using free version of CCleaner for a few years now, and had no problems, and have also used Google Chrome as my browser for many years. But recently, I've noticed that when I click some links, they open up in this new CCleaner browser, which is most annoying, as I want to use chrome as my browser. Can you please explain how this happened, because I don't remember installing a new browser. Also, a website I'm using now for a paid educational course needs me to install a Chrome extension application, and it's going to be a real pain if I have to constantly swap between the two browsers to do this. In fact, I doubt that the chrome extension will even work, if it resides on Chrome, and the main website is open in CCleaner browser. How did I end up with CCleaner browser? 

And also, while typing up this text, I've been stopped about 10 times and asked to prove that I'm not a robot by "recaptcha"! Most annoying!

• Moderators

It sounds that CCleaner Browser has been set to be your default browser when it installed.

Simply change it back to make Chrome your default browser again, so that when you click a link Chrome will open.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95417?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Then uninstall the CCleaner Browser if you don't want it. Once it's uninstalled then it's gone and can't bug you anymore.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

As for how you got it;
It was probably offered when you installed a previous version of CCleaner and you didn't untick (maybe didn't notice) the pre-ticked box, so it installed the browser as well.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am having the same experience as Mike8.  I have tried contacting CCleaner support online and get no response.  I tried contacting Piriform and they put me on to some outfit that would like to charge me - at $66 p.m. should I fail to opt uut.  (They've done this in the past).

CCleaner has taken  over all my saved email messages as well.  When I try to re-open them, I can't.  And it has commandeered all my attachments as well. 

How do Mike8 and I get out from under this?

Evan

Thank you, Nukecad.  I did re-set my default email to Google Chrome.  Now we'll see what happens.

I may still have the problem on opening those messages that were saved in CCleaner.  Any suggestions on how to allow them to be opened?

Evan4

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Evan4 said:

Yes, I am having the same experience as Mike8.  I have tried contacting CCleaner support online and get no response.  I tried contacting Piriform and they put me on to some outfit that would like to charge me - at $66 p.m. should I fail to opt uut.  (They've done this in the past).

That does not sound right at all. And rings alarm bells.

Piriform is CCleaner.
And why would they refer you to a 3rd party?

Can you tell us just how you contacted Piriform for them to 'put me on to some outfit that would like to charge me' ?

I suspect that you may have fallen for what is known as a 'Tech Support Scam'.

If you have then you may need to take further action quickly.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
16 hours ago, Evan4 said:

To confirm, I am not sure who you contacted when you tried "contacting Piriform" but from your description of the experience that was not us.  While we may suggest that you contact your hardware manufacturer for hardware-specific issues not relating to CCleaner, for example, we don't refer anyone to third parties.  If you have dialed a tech support scam number and gave them access to your PC then I'd recommend removing anything that they installed on your PC and then giving it  a thorough AV scan ASAP.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

I'd go further than Dave and say that if you suspect (as we do) that you have been contacted by a Support Scammer then you should get you computer checked over by a malware expert as a matter of some urgency.

I personally would start here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/
Follow their instructions step by step and carefully.

If for some reason you prefer not to use Malwarebytes then there is a list of others offering the same free service which can be found in item 10 of our forum rules:
https://community.ccleaner.com/announcement/15-forum-rules/

They all have experts in malware removal who will take you through things step-by-step.
Be sure to do what they say and only what they say until they give you the all clear.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to delete the cc browser and have followed all the directions but when I get to the add/remove in settings the uninstall is grayed out.  I have all browsers closed.  any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem with Ccleaner browser. I was able to uninstall Ccleaner but it will not allow me to uninstall the browser.  When you go to uninstall programs and click Ccleaner browser the uninstall option is grey'd out not allowing for uninstall. I have run malware bytes and the scan came up empty. I am running windows 10.

Edited by clarky6736

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar experience with ccleaner browser in Win10.  I did not want to install it, but missed the check box when I was updating my CCleaner app.  I've tried using the Control Panel and Apps & features to uninstall the browser. Didn't work.  I've also tried the CCleanerBrowserUninstall.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner Browser.  That didn't work either. All three methods above did nothing.  I'm super frustrated... 

• Moderators

It's a bit hard to miss these days, it's a full page in the CCleaner installer now. (or at least should be).

I've asked the staff for an update on what is happening with the uninstall problem.

• Moderators

Just make sure it's not set as the default browser and then ignore it until there is a soultion to why it won't currently uninstall.

Many people have unused browsers and other software they never use just sat around on their computer doing nothing, unless you are short of storage space it's not a real problem just a slight annoyance if you don't want it there.

Guest Sandra CCleaner
On 15/04/2020 at 14:29, djc314 said:

I have been trying to delete the cc browser and have followed all the directions but when I get to the add/remove in settings the uninstall is grayed out.  I have all browsers closed.  any help would be appreciated.

On 30/04/2020 at 20:43, ES5150 said:

I am having a similar experience with ccleaner browser in Win10.  I did not want to install it, but missed the check box when I was updating my CCleaner app.  I've tried using the Control Panel and Apps & features to uninstall the browser. Didn't work.  I've also tried the CCleanerBrowserUninstall.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner Browser.  That didn't work either. All three methods above did nothing.  I'm super frustrated... 

Hi there, I have flagged this issue to our Browser team, and they require Diagnostic information in order to investigate this issue further.  It would be great if you could please share that with us, either here or with support@ccleaner.com. 

To get Diagnostic information from CCleaner Browser, please go to Settings > About CCleaner Browser (right at the bottom of the panel on the left hand side) > Diagnostic Information. A box will pop up with the info, and you can just copy and paste it. Thank you! 😊

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have the same issue, impossible to uninstall CCleaner Browser by any method!

I also have an error in the "about" section, maybe it's linked?

"code d'erreur 3: 0x80040154 -- system level"

Here is my diagnostic:

"executable_path=C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner Browser\Application\CCleanerBrowser.exe
profile_path=C:\Users\arfuf\AppData\Local\CCleaner Browser\User Data\Default
os_version=Windows 10 v1909 (x64) 
av_version=
host_prefix=
browser_version=80.0.3576.125 (Official Build (64-bit))
cgid=
cid=
uid=cdcfbc2f65194e259bca9636b5cd0ed9

Enabled extensions:
ahfgeienlihckogmohjhadlkjgocpleb : Web Store : 0.2
kmendfapggjehodndflmmgagdbamhnfd : CryptoTokenExtension : 0.9.74
mfehgcgbbipciphmccgaenjidiccnmng : Cloud Print : 0.1
mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai : Chromium PDF Viewer : 1
pkedcjkdefgpdelpbcmbmeomcjbeemfm : Chrome Media Router : 8220.313.1.2

Disabled extensions:"

thank you :) 

• Admin
8 hours ago, Jul said:

impossible to uninstall CCleaner Browser by any method!

Including Tools > Uninstall from within CCleaner?

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've asked the staff (Dave) a couple of times, I'll ask again.

Guest Sandra CCleaner
On 02/06/2020 at 04:54, Jul said:

"code d'erreur 3: 0x80040154 -- system level"

Hi Jul, thanks for all the info. It has been shared with our Browser team. 

The error "code d'erreur 3: 0x80040154 -- system level" is unrelated to the uninstall issue, and means that an error occurred whilst checking for updates. Please could you let us know what happened when you went to 'Apps & Features' in the control panel? For example, did it launch the uninstaller window, or nothing happened? Thanks for helping us investigate this!

On 02/06/2020 at 04:54, Jul said:

host_prefix=
browser_version=80.0.3576.125 (Official Build (64-bit))
cgid=
cid=

This also doesn't look quite right. Please could you tell us how you installed the browser, and if you still have the installer that you used? Thank you :)

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

So in App & Features when I click on Uninstall, I have the notification "would you like CCleaner Browser Installer to make modification" blabla. I click Yes and nothing happens. Nothing at all :) No window appearing. I tried also to find the uninstaller file manually in the explorer: still nothing happens when I click on "setup.exe" in the "installer" folder.

I'm sorry I don't remember how precisely I installed it, I don't have the installer. I guess it was with CCleaner itself, not sure...

Let me know if you need more information!