update freezes

1 hour ago, Gergana CCleaner said:

Can you make a screenshot of the CCleaner when it is frozen?

I think we've got two freezing issues mixed in here.

With some users CCleaner freezes already during the installation.

For other users the CCleaner GUI freezes right after startup. A screenshot won't help much here, because CCleaner is loaded completely, but is not usable. With every click nothing happens, except that a sound is played.

A solution for this problem can be read here:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/56994-update-freezes/?tab=comments#comment-315830
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/56994-update-freezes/?tab=comments#comment-315886
The problem can be easily reproduced. Simply delete the value "DisplayIM" (HKCU) from the registry.

I'll chime in and say I do not have the DisplayIM key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner or Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

Performing the registry change earlier resolves the problem.

I also believe that a patch (micro update) was pushed out, as I see (Cfg)LastUpdate has incremented 

Edited by AnoneeMouse

14 hours ago, AnoneeMouse said:

I'll chime in and say I do not have the DisplayIM key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner ...

And this is exactly the reason why CCleaner freezes when the HealthCheck is activated. As I explained in my previous posts.

On 03/03/2020 at 21:08, ImnM77O said:

win7 sp1 ultimate x64

updated cc tonight to 5.64.7613 x64

same issue as others with the freezing.  task manager shows 2 processes for ccleaner64.exe. only msg in event log is audit success for ccleaner64.exe regarding the IP's for ccleaner's cloud and a request to DNS server.  i can ping these points that ccleaner64 at times is calling:

199.232.40.64, 199.232.42.109, 77.234.42.94, 199.232.42.202, 151.101.38.202

firewall was turned off on this system and hosts file is empty.  no msg of error or blocking from a/v bitdefender.

confirmed, the reg hack that @hazelnut & @APMichael posted allowed CC to start and run.  next update will "fix" this, i assume?

• 1 month later...

It's now May, I have just updated CCleaner on my windows 7 laptop and had exactly the problem being discussed, frozen when the program starts, with health check option displayed.
Considering the registry fix was identified in March, I fail to understand why this update has neither been updated or withdrawn.
The solution published by AnoneeMouse on the 5th of March worked for me - albeit it took me ages to work out how to edit my registry, not something I am familiar with.
Many thanks to AnoneeMouse.

• 6 months later...

It's now 23rd November 2020 and STILL there is no working fix or Piriform update to resolve this issue!

What is going on??

I have tried the reg change from 0 to 1 and vice versa with no difference whatsoever; a brand new latest edition ccleaner installed with icon on desktop, but it does not load the program - it just freezes with a blue spinning circle. The program cannot be shut via task manager as it doesn't even appear there. No other desktop icon can be accessed, but I can access the start button (windows icon in bottom left of desktop) and select restart or shutdown - which is the only way to use my computer after trying to open ccleaner the usual way. I can use ccleaner by typing ccleaner in the search bar at the bottom left of the desktop and  selecting 'Open'. It runs normally. If I instead select 'Run CCleaner' - the system just freezes as before with the desktop icon.

I am runing Windows 10 64 bit, Avast, Windows Defender and have two hard disks - my C drive is a a little M2 drive where I have my operating system; and my H drive is a 2Tb HDD where I have my games, photos, music etc....... if that helps?

Please can you come with a fix or update that actually works?

Edited by BarrattFF7

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BarrattFF7 said:

... installed with icon on desktop, but it does not load the program - it just freezes with a blue spinning circle. The program cannot be shut via task manager as it doesn't even appear there. No other desktop icon can be accessed, but I can access the start button (windows icon in bottom left of desktop) and select restart or shutdown ...

First to note that this thread was about CCleaner v5.64, a full 10 versions ago, so yours is unlikely to be the same issue with the current v5.74.

Your issue sounds more like an an antivirus or Windows problem rather than CCleaner itself.

The program cannot be shut via task manager as it doesn't even appear there.

The fact that CCleaner is not appearing in the Task Manager indicates that CCleaner is not launching/running at all, and so it can't be interfering.
If it was launching but getting stuck then you would still see it in Task Manager, with a 'Not Responding' flag.

it just freezes with a blue spinning circleI

That again looks like something is happening before CCleaner gets to launch, and is stopping it from launching.
A blue spinning circle is often an indication that Windows itself is stuck for some reason.

Are you running any antivirus other than Windows Defender?
If so then try turning off/disabling that Antivirus to see if that makes a difference to the behavour.

Are you installing CCleaner on your system drive, or on your H drive?
Do you have Windows redirects in place for the H drive? (Redirects are known to sometimes cause problems on Win 10).
If you are installing CCleaner on your H drive then try installing CCleaner in the standard location on the system drive. (The C drive)

No other desktop icon can be accessed

There are a few things Windows related that can stop your desktop icons from working, (We'll rule out mouse or keyboard problems for now, it doesn't sound like those).

File Explorer could have stopped/frozen. If that's happened then a restart of your computer should fix that. Restart not Shut-Down is the best way.
(Or Kill and restart the File Explorer process if you know how to do that).
https://www.windowsdigitals.com/cant-click-anything-on-desktop-windows-10/

Your icon cache could have become corrupted, see this for how to reset it:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/

Or your local cache could have become corrupted, see the following:
https://www.howtogeek.com/679171/how-to-clear-your-cache-in-windows-10/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043