Install but it is just idle in the background

Mattshark

You have to click on the SCAN button to get it to search for deleted files in the location specified.

By default that is just C:\ ie. your primary drive but all other locations are available from the drop down menu.

In the file search options box the default is every file type but you can change that to narrow down the search to a particular custom folder path or for more general Picture, Music, Documents, Video, Compressed or Email files using its drop down menu.

• Moderators

Can you see its icon on the taskbar?

It may be starting minimised.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Mattshark said:

Ok, after a quite a wait, the program suddenly sprang into life.

I feel like that at times, wait for me and I'll spring into life again, must be my age. scooter.gif

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

I feel like that at times, wait for me and I'll spring into life again, must be my age. scooter.gif

lol, sounds like me without coffee!

Thanks for the help, I don't know what the issue was, but it does at least seem to be working now.

I'd uninstall it using Revo (Advanced option scan to get all left-overs).

Then reinstall a fresh copy from the download links at the top here.

It should not take a long time to open or display in the normal way.

With Windows 7 64bit you get the familiar UAC admin consent dialogue box when you launch Recuva which I believe Windows 10 should also do too.

I would have suggested you try the portable version of Recuva instead but unfortunately Piriform have surreptitiously ceased providing that version - the links from the build page lead to a page with a portable download link but the actual file downloaded is their standard installer .exe.

You can still create a portable installation from either of  the installed 32/64bit recuva .exe files fairly easily but doing that rather defeats the point of testing a system with portable version of the same program in this particular case.

• Moderators

Possibly a Win10 issue and especially if it's Win10 + the built in Windows Defender antivirus. Even SpywareBlaster which used to load nearly instantly now takes ages to finally load on Win10, even though I have it installed on an SSD, and starts nearly instantly on my old "slow" IDE hard disk WinXP desktop PC so yeah I'll blame Win10.