Advice Needed

AnthonyStan

Hi,

I recently experienced a nightmare scenario where both my 4TB hard drives which were attached to my Nvidia Shield TV were inexplicably wiped for no apparent reason. I was using one drive as media storage for Plex  and the other for Emby. I have no idea what caused the data loss and will not be using the shield again.

After taking advice I downloaded and used Recuva.

I must admit I was sceptical but after a few false dawns all of a sudden all my deleted files appeared. I was delighted as we're talking an awful lot of files that had been accumulated over years.

However, I have an issue that I don't know if it's normal or not.

The drive I've recovered the lost files from contained nearly 4TB of data comprising around 20,000 files.

My issue is:

a) None of the recovered files have filenames which, obviously, makes identification impossible meaning I'd have to open every single file to identify it. (Image 1)

b) When I recover the deleted files thay are all restored as filetype "file" meaning I have no idea what type of file they actually are. (Image 2)

Interestingly I am able to open all the files using VLC which, incidentally, then displays the correct file name in its header.

Am I missing something or am I resigned to going through every single one of the 20,000+ files in order to identify them?

Any advice gratefully reeived,

Anthonu

Recuva.png

Recuva 2.png

Sorry I can't offer any comment on this particular topic but I'd welcome any follow-up regarding advice by Moderator Augeas some time ago advising opening Recuva into Deep Scan mode.

In that mode the drive I need to scan (an external HDD which otherwise would appear as drive G:) is not in the pull-down list, presumably because Windows identifies it as RAW (although it should be NTFS - and was until recently!).  If I select "All local disks" will Recuva find the missing drive?

I'll be grateful for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, have you checked to see if your 4tb has become the default drive for your Nvidia.

This happened to me once, and after returning the shield default drive back, I could read my external drive again.

It's so easy to do, Nvidia don't make the swap clear when it happens.

Edited by Deasson58
Spelling