Lost 800 gb of space using defraggler

Cjboss

Hello there

I have a windows 10 and I was trying to update to the newest version. I got the BSOD and searched online, which suggested that using defraggler would help. While the process was going on, my computer crashed again with second BSOD (kernel data inpage error) and my P.C. got stuck at 1% for three hours. It was midnight so I restarted it and it went on to perform a thorough checkdisk which lasted all night.

Anyways, today I restarted my computer to notice my disk space had gone from 800 gb free to 40 gb free. I ran defraggler, but it did not free up any disc space. I googled for solutions and deleted all restore points, but my laptop (which is barely 6 months old) continues to be filled. I’m rerunning the defraggler with the stopping vss option ticked, and hoping for the best.

I don’t have the the time to take it to a repair shop. Help! 

Information

have an HP laptop, intel core i3-8145u cpu @ 2.10 ghz 2.30 ghz

4 gb ram, 64 bIt OS

• Moderators

Could be from crash dump data caused by the BSOD since those can take a ton of disk space but I'm not sure if they'd take 100's of GB of space. If it is crash dump data CCleaner can clean it, but that doesn't even begin to solve the issue why your computer is getting BSOD crashes -- and no Defraggler will not solve your computer having BSOD crashes the cause is elsewhere.

Being that your computer is so new perhaps get HP on the phone for some support/customer help.

- The combination of System Restore and Defraggler is Always a cumbersome one. This is known to slow down the defragmentation process.

- Reduce the amount of disk space that can be used by System Restore. If that's at say 60% of total disk space then reduce that to e.g. 30% or whatever size/percentage you like best.

- Run Antibody's WIZTREE. It will tell you what the size is of that folder called "System Volume Information". Give us that number.

- Turn off "System Restore", restart your system and turn "System Restore" back on (if you want to). That should help to free up that used space.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!