Pre-launching and pre-loading

jhaber

Can I add my voice pleading that an update fix this issue? I, like some in forum threads I've seen, just don't feel comfortable with that complicated a registry edit. The software should, after all this time, be doing the job for us.

• Moderators

You're absolutely 100% correct! It should be built into CCleaner to do it for end-users. And the manual way of adding in the "fix" is about one year old now.

In the meantime there is a ZIP download from a few months back in another topic (the ZIP download makes it easy to fix with simple instructions and no registry editing knowledge is required):
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/56335-solution-ccleaner-cannot-fully-clean-microsoft-edge-due-to-pre-loading/

Edited by Andavari
Changed URL link to the new official pinned topic

The instructions for the using regedit to fix the MS Edge prelaunch and tab preload problem calls for me to go to KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main . It doesn't exist in my registry, however, so I'm lost and screwed. (No MicrosoftEdge subfolder.) Anyone know what now?

• Moderators

Read the dedicated pinned topic about it located here, it has full instructions and like I previously stated in this topic. In that dedicated topic look get the ZIP download with easy instructions and an included .reg file that will automatically apply the fix for you. Zero registry editing knowledge is required if you use the supplied ZIP download.

Edited by Andavari
Changed URL link to the new official pinned topic

Go figure, but this time it worked, and apologies if any of this is my fault. I'm doubly grateful for the reg file, as it also gets Edge out of the processes showing up in the Windows Task Manager. I'd been unable to kill that by going over services in System Configuration. Thanks!