WD Raptor 150 GB question

Stephen

I'm interested in the WD Raptor 150 for a new build (currently collecting parts). I plan on using the Raptor for my OS - I have another drive (a Seagate) for video editing and storage. I am NOT going to do any kind of RAID.

There are two versions of the Raptor out there - the ADFD version (which is cheaper) and the AHFD version with the window. I have read several comments indicating the window version is meant for non-RAID setups, while the other version is designed to be used in RAID setups. The RAID version uses TLER (time limited error recovery), which supposedly hurts performance somewhat if used in a non-RAID setup. However, I have also read that you can supposedly disable the TLER if you get that drive.

Does anyone know for sure if this is true? Has anyone out there got the cheaper one and used in it a non-RAID setup? If so, were you able to disable the TLER?

Lastly, does anyone know if the prices of both drives are likely to come down much in the next three months? In the next six months?

I think you'd be much better off getting the non-windowed version (don't get the Raptor-X.)

Not only is it a very expensive and somewhat useless toy, the regular Raptor is cheaper and maybe a little bit better. I haven't heard of any hard drive that would work better/worse in a RAID set-up, although regular Raptors are frequently used in servers, which could mean a RAID 1, or maybe even a RAID 0 set-up is valuable.

I don't see any of them going down any time soon, since WD pretty much has a monopoly on desktop 10kRPM drives.

I think you'd be much better off getting the non-windowed version (don't get the Raptor-X.)

Not only is it a very expensive and somewhat useless toy, the regular Raptor is cheaper and maybe a little bit better. I haven't heard of any hard drive that would work better/worse in a RAID set-up, although regular Raptors are frequently used in servers, which could mean a RAID 1, or maybe even a RAID 0 set-up is valuable.

I don't see any of them going down any time soon, since WD pretty much has a monopoly on desktop 10kRPM drives.

What about the TLER feature? Do you know if it comes enabled or disabled in the non-windowed version?

Raptor disks are very high-performance disk, but they are expensive too.

Raptor X is the one with the window, its targeted for gamers.

The window is pretty useless, and when its mounted in the computer you're not likely to see it anyways.

I dont know about the TLER. But I would probably go with the standard Raptor (not the X one) because it feels more serious without useless window, and it is cheaper.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png