How to delete files that can be found within the recycle bin?

par0x

the recycling bins are at c>recycler.

i dont see any hidden files in it.

if you delete the recycling bin it wll just come back.

you have to delete it from the registry.

I'm assuming your copy of XP is using the default NTFS file system

I'm not completely certain what you're referring to here, but anyway, the Recycle Bin (with NTFS "C:\Recycler" by default) is a 'special folder'.

Even after emptying the Recycler bin or cleaning it with CCleaner Recycler will still contain a "Recycle Bin" for each user that logs on to the computer, sorted by their security identifier (SID). These objects have weird, long filenames, like for example"S-1-5-21-2272455930-4098879298-1067392489-1006"

Sometime the folder does get corrupted. First try this:

Go to Start > Run type 'cmd then hit 'Enter'

Type the following at the command prompt:

rd /s /q c:\recycler (note: mind you include the spaces after 'rd', 's', and 'q',

Press 'Enter'.

That will remove the Recycler folder

Now rightclick your Desktop, and choose New > Text document.

A new txtfile is created.

Delete it by dragging it to it to the Recycle Bin on your desktop.

Next, rightclick the Recycle Bin, and choose: "Emtpty RB"

After that you should have a brand new Recycler folder that should be empty, apart from the aforementioned SID-file(s)

Tell us how that goes.

you have to delete it from the registry.

Neighberaaron is absolutely right in that Recycle Bin problems can also be due to corruption of one of the pertinent registry keys, and that can certainly be fixed, but I rather have an idea that this is not the case here. In fact, is this even a Recycle Bin problem at all?

What program did you use, what were the files it found, did YOU move those to the registry bin, and were you subsequently unable to delete them from there?

Or did you delete them, but they returned. And if so, did they return to their original location, or to the Recycle Bin...?

:blink:

Deleting the INFO2 file can fix a corrupted bin as a new one is generated automatically by windows.

INFO2 is a hidden file that holds the information on files in the Recycle Bin.

Scroll down to "Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems" at the link below.

Recycle bin info

More info

Might add that the free search utility Agent Ransack can show the INFO2 file but you can't delete it through the GUI.

Icesword can show and delete it but you have to manually find it which isn't too hard.

You can also delete it through cmd but I've forgotten how to do that. :)

You can also delete it through cmd but I've forgotten how to do that. :)

Well: rd /s /q c:\recycler , as I said before... ;)

That will get rid of the Recycler folder, including a possibly corrupted Info2 file.

(Incidentally, I had to correct my previous post, in which I had it as C:\recycleD, which would be have been the case if this were Fat32)

Well: rd /s /q c:\recycler , as I said before... ;)

That will get rid of the Recycler folder, including a possibly corrupted Info2 file.

Hi TonyKlein,

Just an observation and seeking your opinion.

Do you think that setting Ccleaner to clean the hidden recycler folder would do the same?

C:\RECYCLER\*.*

If I set the above to custom folders and analyze, Ccleaner can see the hidden info 2 and desktop.ini so I think it would work.

Gave it a go and the bin was deleted from the recyclers folder but still remained on desktop.

Right clicked desktop bin and reset properties and the bin reappeared in recyclers.

Didn't try the '|REMOVESELF' parameter as I had already tried C:\RECYCLER\*.*

Looks like Ccleaner can fix a corrupted bin if pointed in the right direction. :)

Gave it a go and the bin was deleted from the recyclers folder but still remained on desktop.

That is normal, as your Desktop Recycle Bin is a (registry based) so called NameSpace object.

Looks like Ccleaner can fix a corrupted bin if pointed in the right direction. :)

It is good to know, but it seems a bit of a hassle to edit winapp2.ini for an isolated occurrence such as this one... ;)

It is good to know, but it seems a bit of a hassle to edit winapp2.ini for an isolated occurrence such as this one... ;)

TonyKlein,no need to edit winapp2.

Just add "C:\RECYCLER\*.*" to custom folders cleanup then remove once done. :)