How to clean enough disk space for Windows 10

jewel801

• Moderators

Use CCleaner along with Windows own built-in Disk Cleanup. Uninstall programs you don't use and know you'll never use again, especially trial offers that are often installed on new PCs.

A more "brute force" way to get the cleanest Win10 install is to have Windows install a fresh of itself, and then only install programs you require.

What I've did to keep my Win10 installation on the lite side is to whenever possible only use portable variants of software that I have on another disk drive.

As for your computer operating slow, if you have a hard disk have Windows defragment it, if it's still slow buy an SSD for your boot drive that contains the Windows installation. If it's an SSD have Windows optimize it which will issue a Trim command.

• Moderators

The first question would have to be - What size is your current 'C:' drive?

Windows 10 now needs a minimum of 32 GB for installs and updates.
Microsoft usually recommend that you have at least a 128 GB drive in your machine for Windows 10.

This can be an issue with older PCs and laptops that only have smaller drives; (or if a larger drive has been partitioned so that the 'C:' partition is small).
A small drive getting full may be why you are seeing a slowdow generally.

As well as freeing up space or getting a larger drive then you could try using external storage (like a USB stick) to temporarily give extra space when updating Windows.
Here's how to do that:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4013876/windows-10-free-up-space-to-install-latest-feature-update

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2019 at 17:25, jewel801 said:

Windows is impossible. Cleared out tons of files, but didn't make a dent.

plus my pc's kinda slow.

I signed up hoping CCleaner will do the job.

Thanx in advance!

Only thing you can do is, to migrate your OS to SSD and your PC will be blazing fast and when you format SSD for the first time make sure you tick these options in the pics 

word-image-10.png?w=1305&ssl=1And keep your HDD for big files, my SSD occupies only 102GB and it runs very fast with tons of Windows file.

Edited by jude4896

• Moderators

Most SSDs from my knowledge already compress files which are compressible, a good reason to not for instance store a ton of already compressed and thus non-compressible any further files on them such as MP3's, movies, etc.