Download link for the portable version is downloading the setup version

Alex_Recuva

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Alex_Recuva said:

Is there any place where to ask if the portable versions of Recuva, Defraggler and Speccy have been officially discontinued?

I've pointed this thread out to the Piriform staff, hopefully they will respond soon.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

We've got a couple of broken links as a result of moving recently to a new download server.  These will all be reestablished shortly.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

For now, you can download the portable builds from other sources by searching the MD5 checksums on Google. That's what I did.

ccsetup563.zip 81cfdec318e58fbd43cb19df30bcd3e9
dfsetup222.zip 0fdf3f6dc5068e76c312797941307d75
rcsetup153.zip 74ecd76dfbbe241f454cd66a30066b88
spsetup132.zip c4d4604b7a7046ce120fa521c523afb8

I've gathered these checksums from the original announcement threads.

Edited by cemtemeltas

• Moderators
8 hours ago, cemtemeltas said:

For now, you can download the portable builds from other sources by searching the MD5 checksums on Google. That's what I did.

ccsetup563.zip 81cfdec318e58fbd43cb19df30bcd3e9
dfsetup222.zip 0fdf3f6dc5068e76c312797941307d75
rcsetup153.zip 74ecd76dfbbe241f454cd66a30066b88
spsetup132.zip c4d4604b7a7046ce120fa521c523afb8

I've gathered these checksums from the original announcement threads.

That's not really kosher or safe.  I'm sure the links will be up soon

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...

On 24/10/2019 at 16:18, Nergal said:

That's not really kosher or safe.  I'm sure the links will be up soon

If you verify the checksum and it's the same, then it's perfectly safe.

Edited by Zafpyr
Qoute

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Zafpyr said:

If you verify the checksum and it's the same, then it's perfectly safe.

Maybe but this is a official site forum and we won't be referring people to illegitimate downloads which break licenses.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

9 hours ago, Nergal said:

Maybe but this is a official site forum and we won't be referring people to illegitimate downloads which break licenses.

Even though the download isn't available on the official site?
The checksums were posted for a reason, just saying.

• 2 months later...
On 22/10/2019 at 02:21, Dave CCleaner said:

We've got a couple of broken links as a result of moving recently to a new download server.  These will all be reestablished shortly.

What's your definition of "shortly"?  It's been about 4 months since we were promised the links to the portable versions would be restored, and still nothing.

What are the official links to the portable versions of Defraggler, Speccy, and Recuva?

Given Avast's recent problems and investigations into their actions, there is no way many of us are going to use closed-source installers.

Some information has not been added here which should have been, particularly since the links to the portable versions have mysteriously disappeared over the last few years.

The fact it is you can create a portable version of, AFAIK, any of these Piriform programs: Defraggler, Speccy, CCleaner, Recuva simply by adding a .dat text file to the program's EXE.

METHOD

Download the installer and extract .exe or 64.exe (for 64-bit OS), and optionally Lang directory to a new folder, name of your choice.

Create a blank text file using Notepad in the same folder and paste the following:-

#PORTABLE#

and save* it as portable.dat and just put that in the same folder

Launch the .exe or 64.exe directly or create desktop shortcuts.

*If you do not know how to do that:-

Simply use the normal "Save" option but change the Save Type to "All Files". Then simply type in portable.dat as the name of the file and save.

The only downside to this is method is that you have extract the program's EXE. That means installing it in the normal way first. But since most here will likely already have done that getting hold of the .exe and/or 64.exe is not a problem. However a simple alternative if you do not want the hassle of installing/uninstalling it is actually use 7Zip or other compression archive tool like WinRAR or PeaZip. 

Just use 7Zip's right mouse context menu option: "Open Archive" and it will display the installer's contents including the two EXE file. Highlight one or both and use the Copy To option and they'll extract and copy to wherever you want.  

• Moderators

Yes it's easy to make on your own if you already have a portable version to copy from. But they might consider posting that info as an illegal means of doing it or some form of circumvention. At least that's what I've been told previously by another moderator when I posted those instructions and promptly deleted the post I made.

The moderation team was told years ago that they'd phase out the portable versions, maybe they're doing that now, but I've no ideal and can't speculate because they haven't told the moderation team anything either.

• 5 months later...
On 22/10/2019 at 04:21, Dave CCleaner said:

Hi Dave CCleaner:

It's been nine months now.  Any update since your October 2019 post?

This might be a good time for Avast to finally re-post the Portable (and Slim) builds of Speccy / Defraggler / Recuva on their download servers, given your 26-Jul-2020 comment in the thread Windows Defender Reports CCleaner as "Potentially Unwanted App"  that "The stand-alone Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy may still ping Defender for the time being."

According to Venkat's 30-Jul-2020 Techdows article Microsoft Explains Why Windows Defender Classifying CCleaner Installer as PUA:

... As of now, we can confirm CCleaner can be installed without any issues on Windows 10, but you’ll still see it being marked as PUA in Protection History.

On the other side, Windows Defender acts more aggressively on other products of Avast. If you download Speccy, Recuva, and Defraggler, their setup files will be locked but not removed, and you’ll receive an error:

” Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have appropriate permission to access them”.

Microsoft saidbundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact the user experiences. To protect Windows users, Microsoft Defender Antivirus detects CCleaner installers that exhibit this behavior as potentially unwanted applications (PUA)”...