cleaner.exe has stopped working

greta23

Today I downloaded v5.62.7538 (03 Oct 2019) of CCleaner. I ran a few tests (with default settings). When finished I found a dialogue box with an error message. I couldn't recall this message but afterwards I found the wellknown "cleaner.exe has stopped working".

I then tried to restore the back-up file created before I ran the registry check. Error message: C:\Users\Greta\Desktop\cc_20191006_124405.reg  cannot be imported. An error occurred while trying to get in touch with the registry.

Anyone who could advise on what to do?

/Greta

Edited by greta23

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I would suggest that you install the latest version which is 5.63. (Uninstall 5.62 first if needed from the Windows settings or control panel).

There has been an important change to security so even if you weren't having a problem with 5.62 then you should update it to 5.63 anyway.

PS. Don't use the registry cleaner as a regular tool, it is not meant for that,  will not 'speed-up' your computer,  and can cause it to not work right. It is a specilist tool for use to try and repair a broken computer.

Please come back if you need more help installing 5.63.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Can you give more details of the problem you are having launching the programme?

A screenshot or even a description of the error message should help.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

20 hours ago, nukecad said:

Can you give more details of the problem you are having launching the programme?

A screenshot or even a description of the error message should help.

It now looks as if it is working. I also upgraded the free CCleaner. Thank you for your help. Hope to get more help if I get future problems!

• Moderators

The ones that fix themselves are the easiest. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have now a new problem. When I launch CCleaner.exe I get an error message: "The instruction at 0x7714b746 referred to the memory at 0xffffffff. Impossible to carry out a memory measure. The following error was returned: The memory could not be read.

Press enter if you want to end the program."

Could you or anyone else help me?

• Moderators

For anyone reading this I've answered in another thread where greta posted.

It may be a BitDefender clash- but I think it's more likey because she used the registry cleaner. I say how to restore the registry backup in that other thread.