Incompatability

Not sure if many people know this but perhaps it should be included in the readme or whatever you want to call it section of the website/program that CCleaner is NOT compatible with Ad-Aware SE Professional's Real Time scanner "Ad-Watch".

Gladly, So as some of you may or may not know when you are using Ad-Watch it will stop malicious activities from happening on your computer, more importantly it will stop registry editing... So when you are using the issues section of ccleaner there are times when you are unable to clean problems because of ad-watch, for example I had one issue stay on my list for about 2 weeks before noticing that if I unloaded ad-watch it would finally leave me alone lol... understand?

Well, these things will happen. If you have one application protecting a particular registry key while another one (in this case CCleaner) wants to remove it they're bound to disagree.

I would however hesitate to dub that proof of 'incompatibility'.

I suggest you temporarily disable Adwatch when you're about to run CCLeaner.

Those five secons will hardly constitute a security leak...

I can already see we're not likely to be agreeing on this... LOL!

Have you already posted at the Lavasoft board with the exact same question? And if so, what did they say?

Also, what is the exact registry key/value in question? There may be a workaround.

... also, and I never thought I'd be hearing myself say this, Eldmannen in a way may have a point here.

CCleaner at least allows you to decide what MRUs to 'clean', and you can even fine-tune that by editing the Winapp(2).ini manually if it should be required.

Personally, I use GhostSecurity RegDefend for kernel level Registry monitoring, and it lets me create an Application override group that does allow CCLeaner to modify a registry value it is protecting.

To give you an example, here are my RegDefend rules that allow CCLeaner to do what it needs to do on my machine, without RegDefend crying foul

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vb and vba program settings\Ccleaner\Options | * | SET VALUE, DELETE VALUE | | CCleaner | 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run | ccleaner | SET VALUE | | CCleaner | 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\*controlset*\Control\Session manager | *FileRenameOperations | SET VALUE | | CCleaner | 3

Adwatch unfortunately isn't quite as versatile, at least if I understand you correctly...

What exactly is it preventing CCleaner from doing? Is is because it wants to delete the index.dat on reboot using PendingFileRenameOperations?

Well since I recently bought ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (I have to much money for my own good :P)... I got perm disabled lavasoft's ad-watch since it was giving me these problems... and since then i've been able to clean everything without a problem... Anyway ad-watch would say something along the lines of...

Registry Modification Detected (Giving you details on the time and what key, etc...) and it would block it from being deleted... thus making it show up everytime in the issues...

Also the issues (this is the weird part) were programs that I had deleted ages ago... Itunes (crap), Quicktime (bigger crap), and AVG antivirus...

Anyway ad-watch would say something along the lines of...

Registry Modification Detected (Giving you details on the time and what key, etc...) and it would block it from being deleted... thus making it show up everytime in the issues...

Ah, but those details are exactly what we need in order for this to be a successful "bug report".

Also the issues (this is the weird part) were programs that I had deleted ages ago... Itunes (crap), Quicktime (bigger crap), and AVG antivirus...

It is not necessarily weird. What Ad-Watch does is tell you when a registry value in a particular key it monitors changes. When you run it it will also tell you whether anuthing has changed there since the last time it checked.

I decided to switch it on, and I got 4 popups, one of which I'm attaching. It's a startup entry pertaining to Roxio Drag - to Disc, an application I installed after Ad-Watch was last launched. As you can see it has added a string value to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key, one of the many keys that Microsoft checks at boot for applications that it needs to launch.

You'll find applications listed in that key in Msconfig > Startup Programs

Once you get such a popup, you are given the opportunity to deny or allow it. I see that Ad-Watch also allows you to create custom rules, so I'm quite confident it is a little more configurable that I first gave it credit for. Have a look at those options!

Now as for those popups for software you haven't installed any longer, those could well be orphaned values in such a Registry key left over by a less than complete uninstall of the software in question, unfortunately quite a common occurrence...

Anyway, as you see it's important to know what such an alert really means. It's only then you can take steps, either to remove the orohaned registry references, or, if that doesn't apply, create a rule that allows Ad-Watch to always allow that registry change.