Online Virus Scanner

Eldmannen

List of online/web scanners:

Multi-engine scanners:

Anti-virus scanners:

Other-malware scanners:

Though beware, some of these scanners delete files it identifies as virus straight away without first consulting you to ask wether you approve or not.

Also beware of that some of these scanners send back information to the antivirus company about which files are infected and possible other information.

I do not personally encourage the use or in any way recommend any of the services. The file upload scanners should be safe, but keep in mind that the ActiveX/Java online scanners does run executable code on your computer (which could technically be harmful). Do not use the services provided by companies that you do not trust.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum :)

Its great to see you as a member as it will help this forum and make it a better place.

I agree that VirusTotal is a great site and one I often use as a first step when checking files, If the file is confirmed as malware or is suspicious then the next stop is the Norman Sandbox Information center so I can get an idea of what it does when it runs on the system.

http://sandbox.norman.no/live.html

I added VirusTotal to the lits.

This list is meant as a reference, and maybe it can be useful to some people. But for most of these products, prior to use them you must agree to some dumb license. And many of them probably report back various data. I do feel its kinda scary to run those ActiveX controls because they run so easy, and then seems to be capable of doing so much. Many of them just find the virus/malware and report it, and dont offer to delete. Many of them finds many false positives too, and then just deletes them and identifies many things that are not viruses or malware but could be used in bad ways. It deleted .exe files on my computer that I had programmed myself, luckily I still had the source code left, and luckily it didnt delete the source code, only the executable.

It is nice of those antivirus software to offer free online scanning service, but most of them are very crappy.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Andy. Nice to be here - thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I just installed CCleaner, and I have to say I like it. What especially appeals to me is the fact you can add your own winapp.ini entries. It really makes all the difference!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I added avast!, zonealarm, x-cleaner, trojanscan to the list.

If anyone knows of any other online scanners, please post here.

Maybe this could be a sticky topic?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Do you know in what way this changes the default internet explorer configuration?

By adding it to the trusted sites, it got more control of the webbrowser due to it can run more scripts and stuff which could be possibly dangerous. Generally sites should not be added to the trusted sites list unless you trust it.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• 2 months later...