smart cleaning notification (bug?)

FabioA

Hello,

The notification atracted my attention because it showed a big quantity of GB only one day after a cleaning. Following that, I tried an analysis and the size of junk was very very lower. Please, see the attached files. 

Could it be a problem with the notifications of the Smart Cleaning when it has to detect junk files? Am I doing any mistake?

Thanks

Captura de pantalla (65).png

Captura de pantalla (66).png

Edited by FabioA

• Moderators

We have seen this reported before, it was 1.5GB for that user.
That was back in April so it does not seem to be a common issue.

My best guess at the time was:

I'm only guessing because I don't know just what Smart Cleaning counts, (never bothered to use it), in particular I don't know if it respects your checkbox settings when looking for junk or just looks for everything it can find.

So could most of that reported 1.5G be in categories that you have unchecked and so it doesn't get cleaned when you actually run the cleaner?

ie. It could save 1.5G -  if you cleaned everything, - but your unchecked boxes tell it not to clean everything?

However that is only a guess, I have no inside information on just what smart cleaner analyses.

Another possibility is that your Recycle Bin may have become corrupted (it does happen) so Windows thinks there are still files in the bin, and so Smart Cleaning is reporting files that aren't actually there anymore.

See this for how to fix a corrupted bin:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/recycle-bin-is-corrupted-windows

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks nukecad

I guess something like what you say, too. The Help documentation is very poor and we couldn´t know how exactly is the method of cleaning used by the Smart Cleaning feature. I´ll continue to see how Smart Cleaner notifications works and may be I ask the support team by a ticket.

• Moderators

Did you try resetting the Recycle Bin?

It won't do any harm and will rule that out as a possible cause.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Good to hear it's sorted itself.

I do have another thought about what might be going on here.
It's a bit esoteric but could explain why this isn't getting reported much as an issue, and why it eventually it goes away (until next time?).

CCleaner used to clear Old Windows Update Files, but stopped doing this a while back after Windows 10 changed the way it utilises those files.
It may well be that the Smart Cleaning analyze routine never got updated and so is still seeing these as files to be cleaned, but the main CC itself no longer sees/cleans them.
Eventually (a week, a month?) Windows will remove those files itself when it has finished with them, and so Smart Cleaning analyze would no longer see them.

As I say that's a guess, but it would seem a possible explanation of what has been reported and the fact that it cures itself after a while.

nukecad:

It´s a good possible explanation.

As a consecuence of my observations and related to your comment:

"I'm only guessing because I don't know just what Smart Cleaning counts, (never bothered to use it), in particular I don't know if it respects your checkbox settings when looking for junk or just looks for everything it can find.

So could most of that reported 1.5G be in categories that you have unchecked and so it doesn't get cleaned when you actually run the cleaner?

ie. It could save 1.5G -  if you cleaned everything, - but your unchecked boxes tell it not to clean everything?"

I verify that the Smart Cleaning acts only on the items that you have checked because after the cleaning alert a manual searching of junk shows the same. You can test it.