Do not install Google Chrome on installation

scott31337

Hi all,

I've never liked your software - I've heard how it ruins PC's and screws them all up.

Then I heard one of my fellow techs install your software and thought I would give your software another shot.

Nope, I remember why I did not like it. You install Google Chrome without a check in the custom software to NOT install SPYWARE Chrome?

Thanks. Now I'm stuck with fixing with what Spyware Chrome did.

I've uninstalled both packages - still have chrome:// XML errors.

I tried to system restore - same issue.

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
Line Number 27, Column 29:    <description id="intro">&intro2.label;</description>
----------------------------^

Thanks.

Any intelligent tech will never use your software again.

My suggestion -

DON"T FORCE SPYWARE CHROME ON INSTALLATION

Have a good day.

You already answered your own question sir.

I wish the slim or portable versions were easily available or shown on the website.

The custom installation should still have an option to not install Google/spyware Chrome, after being pushed to the free version after three website clicks.

Just my two cents.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, scott31337 said:

I wish the slim or portable versions were easily available or shown on the website.

The slim and portable builds can be found here

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

There's no published link that I'm aware of. The link is probably known to (let's be generous) a thousand users, against CC's claim of 6 billion downloads, which is statistially zero. Any link that's not published is unsupported, but Piriform staff have mentioned it and Piriform publishes MD5 hashes for the slim and portables. I don't know any other business that operates in such a bewildering way.

This is of course not the answer to the problem raised in this thread, which is a running sore. To keep clear of this I use an old portable version. Yes, unsupported.

• Admin

CCleaner has offered Chrome as an option upon install since 2010:

image.png

Third party offers help to fund the free distribution of CCleaner but, as has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum over the past couple of months, CCleaner only benefits from third party offers that people actually use, so we have been redesigning the offer screens to reduce the risk to users who hastily next>next>next click their way through the installer.

The "slim build" is intended for users who have difficulty with the full build installer due to false positive detection on the Google Chrome Toolbar offer (no longer an issue since that was removed from CCleaner 5.58) or who have accessibility issues.  Made available for such special cases only, as I recall it is linked from the support documentation - and is also discoverable via a Google search https://www.google.com/search?q=ccleaner+builds

On 11/08/2019 at 12:07, Augeas said:

The link is probably known to (let's be generous) a thousand users, against CC's claim of 6 billion downloads, which is statistially zero.

2.5 billion downloads (https://www.ccleaner.com/about). And, statistically, a bit over 4% of new installations are with the Slim Build.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 5 weeks later...

I use Google Chrome. It's ALL I've used for years. What I really DON'T appreciate is an update to CCleaner installing CCbrowser and making it the default browser. Is that asked about during the CCleaner installation? Probably, and naturally, it's MY fault that this unwanted software (CCbrowser) is now on my computer and taking, so far, eight minutes to uninstall. What is it doing??

Please make it OBVIOUS that you're going to install another bit of software with CCleaner before you do it. Don't just piggyback CCbrowser to other software and expect people to appreciate your "generosity." It's rude and extremely bad form. Now, nine minutes waiting for an uninstall.... WTH??

• 7 months later...

admin says "we have been redesigning the offer screens to reduce the risk to users who hastily next>next>next click their way through the installer".  oh, really.  is that why the selection boxes are already checked?  to reduce the risk?  why not leave the boxes empty?  that would really reduce the risk don't you think?  how is the above screenshot going to reduce risk to people that "hastily next>next>next click their way through the installer"?

On 12/08/2019 at 15:02, Dave CCleaner said:

And, statistically, a bit over 4% of new installations are with the Slim Build.

because? the reasoning is the retrospective justification.

a few years ago... i dont know what the percentage between standard and slim/portable was...

771154543_ccleanerdownloadpage.thumb.jpg.a82da825e8e615e9b4e1c72b6f67df4e.jpg

but since a few years without "official" builds-page -> 4 % slim/portable -> who is wondering

646481891_ccleanerdownloadbuildingpageshowingnotthere.thumb.JPG.bc55528a16a36c4103f693f0160fe226.JPG

... well

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

4 hours ago, maclark1953 said:

oh, really.  is that why the selection boxes are already checked?  to reduce the risk?  why not leave the boxes empty?  that would really reduce the risk don't you think?  how is the above screenshot going to reduce risk to people that "hastily next>next>next click their way through the installer"?

we have to stay fair :-)

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history  <--- in v5.64 it was changed 

User-friendly improvements to installer offers
- Offers for Avast and CCleaner products are now presented in a separate step in the installer
- Offers for Avast and CCleaner products are no longer checked by default

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

The Google Chrome offer is still ticked by default, and so will still end up with unwanted installs if people click through without carefully looking at what the installer shows.

I don't know if they'd get paid for in-house offers like Avast Antivirus and AVG Antivirus since they're all owned and/or merged with Avast, however the Google offer they would obviously monetize. Suppose it's the "price to pay" for using freeware, and one does have to really slow down when installing software to make sure "offers" aren't inadvertently installed. The ultimate solution is to of course always use zipped portable versions of any software if/when it's offered. CCleaner is offered as Portable (zipped) and Slim (setup) which don't try to install anything 3rd party from the get go (although you'll still get in-program pop-up adverts to upgrade, etc.).

• Moderators
10 hours ago, hazelnut said:

No more offers for Avast and CCleaner products are ticked by default at install :)

Only in CCleaner, they are still pre-ticked in the installers for Defraggler, Speccy, and Recuva. (Because those have not been updated yet).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043