Microsoft to ease up on piracy check-ins

Humpty

Quote:

The software maker this month plans to update the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications program so that it only checks in with Microsoft once every two weeks, instead of after each boot-up, a company representative said Friday.

By year's end, the tool will stop pinging Microsoft altogether, the representative said.

Story

Sweet, it only spies on you once every two weeks instead of everyday!

How kind of them!

Heh, maybe they shouldnt have put that dumb spy thing there in the first place.

I know another operating system, you dont need to pay for it, you dont need to agree to a license which includes not modifing or distributing the software and handing over your first born son. You dont need no CD key, you dont need no active registration and as a matter of fact you dont need any registration at all. And it dont spy on you or report over any data...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I know another operating system, you dont need to pay for it, you dont need to agree to a license which includes not modifing or distributing the software and handing over your first born son. You dont need no CD key, you dont need no active registration and as a matter of fact you dont need any registration at all. And it dont spy on you or report over any data...

Funny you should mention that.I have ordered 5 Ubuntu cd's for myself and friends a couple of weeks ago. :)

Will install on a new HD and see how it goes.

what is the big deal here? if you have a legit copy of the software you shouldn't have to worry. i look at this way, if i had a business that were losing tons of money from pirated software i would do the same. in fact if it was me, i'd do it in a much more aggressive manner.

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

what is the big deal here? if you have a legit copy of the software you shouldn't have to worry. i look at this way, if i had a business that were losing tons of money from pirated software i would do the same. in fact if it was me, i'd do it in a much more aggressive manner.

Yep, me too MP, well said.

That's fair enough but don't you think just one check should be suffice and not at every statup.

If it's about losing tons of money why was I able to order 5 cd's of another operating system free of charge!

Think about it. :)

i did

Quote:

Q: What information is collected from my computer?

A: The genuine validation process will collect information about your system to determine if your Microsoft software is genuine. This process does not collect or send any information that can be used to identify you or contact you. The only information collected in the validation process is:

* Windows product key

* PC manufacturer

* Operating System version

* PID/SID

* BIOS information (make, version, date)

* BIOS MD5 Checksum

* User locale (language setting for displaying Windows)

* System locale (language version of the operating system)

* Office product key (if validating Office)

* Hard drive serial number"(Why)"

Very interesting!

again, as i said. if you are running legitimate software what is the deal?

websites that you visit collects your info as well. take this banner for instance...it shows your IP address, operating system, web browser, and your intenet service provider.

vipersig.jpg

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

again, as i said. if you are running legitimate software what is the deal?

websites that you visit collects your info as well. take this banner for instance...it shows your IP address, operating system, web browser, and your intenet service provider.

vipersig.jpg

My internal IP is 192.xxxxxxxxxx and my isp is Iprimus :)

We are all different and if it doesn't bother you then use it.

If MS would just check once and only once and only for a valid liscense key then no prob.

But hey,stay the eff out of anything you don't own!

And there's allways that "other" way of updating windows through FF for people like me that reckon MS take far more info than they should.

• Moderators

Interesting thread here over on Wilders. Someone has made a prog to do away with the notifications side of the tool. ( read from top)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....4969#post774969

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com