Macromedia Flash 8.

Mudd

Recently did a reformat and reinstall on PC. All is well after putting back what programs I wanted except for the Flash Player. From Macromedia's Home Page installed Flash Player 8.x,x. It seems to install. I get the finished Gif. Doesn't work though. I've tried several times, installed over the original, uninstalled and reinstalled, no help.

Would appreciate suggestion and help on this.

Mudd

What operating system? You might want to check this out...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/5/11/3934

Been a while since submitting a Post. I forgot the protocols:

XP Media Center

1 GB Ram

3.2 GHz

The instructions indicate I will probably get the "Yellow Install Script" thing at the top. I don't, and maybe that's the reason.

I'm equivalent to Grammer School as concerns PCs. Shouldn't have said that as a lot of Grammer Students are well versed in PC now.

I read the URL you gave. Before I reformatted I think I had version 6.

My reason for this is the weather. I live in a very rural area, no cities to speak of within 50 miles. Use the Weather Station Radar from the cities to the West of here. I can tract a storm with the link very well, knowing when to get in a hole or leave! Our weather is very violent this time of year. So without the Flash Control, no Radar tracking.

Mudd

• Moderators

If you installed Flash for Internet Explorer (including browsers that use IE's components as a backend; AOL, Maxthon, etc.,) you must restart Windows after the installation. Browsers such as Mozilla Suite, Mozilla SeaMonkey, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera don't require a system restart.

I'll do the restart. However, the overnight off and morning on would be same as a restart, wouldn't it?

At the present time I have uninstalled the Flash Player. Will restart the PC, then install again. Will do a restart immediately.

From where can I get the program and install without using OE, which I have?

Mudd

Removed, restarted, installed, restarted and still no Flash Player. Add/Remove shows it's there. Something else is causing it not to install or install completely.

Thanks for the information.

Mudd

try tuneup utilities 2006. i use it all the time and fixes stuff for me.

Interesting software. Found a bushel of problems with the Registry. Took a chance and let it repair. Flash Player 8 will not run, still!

The software is a bit pricey but may go for it after I if it messes anything up.

Thanks.

Mudd

• Moderators

I dont know what you problem is but I do understand how not being able to see the weather radar would be crucial. For a temporary fix you could download firefox and try to install flash with it and see if you can get the radar to load.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Who knows maybe you'll prefer it anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To try and fix your problem I would uninstall flash and then run an issues scan with ccleaner. Then reinstall it and reboot.

Make sure your downloading it from here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash

"My reason for this is the weather. I live in a very rural area, no cities to speak of within 50 miles. Use the Weather Station Radar from the cities to the West of here. I can tract a storm with the link very well,..."

I think you need Java, not Flash to use looping of radar like at the NOAA weather site.

See picture--

http://i5.tinypic.com/143gsk8.jpg

Microsoft also has lost a lawsuit.

You may hover the cursor on a Flash & see a massage saying to click to activate & use this control.

If your radar uses Flash,you just click on it for it to start working.

I assume you went to Microsoft Update & downloaded the updates after you reinstalled Windows?

If so you probably got the update that makes one have to activate Flash to use it.

This update also affects Java among other things.

EDIT--

Read this link at Adobe--

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/

I installed a patch to override the update, but I think on this coming Tuesday Microsoft is going to release a bunch of updates,one of which will cancel out the patch that overrides the "click here to activate & use this control" update.

If so,I am going to go to Microsoft Update & try not to download that update if possible.

Having to click on Flash or Java to get it to work is annoying.

...I think on this coming Tuesday Microsoft is going to release a bunch of updates,one of which will cancel out the patch that overrides the "click here to activate & use this control" update.

If so,I am going to go to Microsoft Update & try not to download that update if possible.

Having to click on Flash or Java to get it to work is annoying.

Thanks for the warning :)

"My reason for this is the weather. I live in a very rural area, no cities to speak of within 50 miles. Use the Weather Station Radar from the cities to the West of here. I can tract a storm with the link very well,..."

I think you need Java, not Flash to use looping of radar like at the NOAA weather site.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are so right! As soon as I read your message my old brain ticked in and knew that was the problem. I did the Microsoft Updates. There were 56 of them. Evidently they didn't include Sun Java.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. One or more times I have been stumped and someone on this site helped. All Old Farts with PC problems should visit this site.

Mudd

You should be happy. :)

To get rid of Flash.

95%+ of all all flash animations on the web are banners anyway.

No flash is a relief!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

You should be happy. :)

To get rid of Flash.

95%+ of all all flash animations on the web are banners anyway.

No flash is a relief!

Eldmannen I have downloaded the HOSTS file and put it where it supposed to be. That seems to take care of the changing banners. I still get still shots of advertising. Maybe the Hosts file stops the moving ones.

I have something that is bothersome though. When I'm clicking links on a Web Page and going back to previous link It sticks with "Connecting to 127.0.0" and it's hard to get it past there. I'm wondering if this is because of the Hosts file. If you should know about this, would you give suggestions to correct it?

Mudd

Hello Mudd,

I get that with the hosts file when I want to go back when browsing.

All I do is right-click on the back button and choose which page I want to go back to.

Learned something new today. That works for my PC also. Saves lot of time.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate that.

Mudd

• Moderators

If your HOSTS file is causing your connection to go kaput insert what's listed in the code below, which is actually required and is always present if using the hpHOSTS HOSTS File and MVPS HOSTS File.

127.0.0.1  localhost

You can also add this:

0.0.0.0  localhost

Also inputting these into your browser network settings under 'Do not use Proxy for' can fix some issues:

localhost0.0.0.0127.0.0.1

Here is the Microsoft page on it--

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS06-021.mspx

I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll get the next security update when it is released.

Yeah, I'd read that but it was all a bit jibberish to me (the update Knowledge Base articles used to be a lot more straightforward than that). Just didn't know if anything in it was still needed, or as it was a cumulative update will I already have the updates included in it (I assume this is just a tidy up of previous updates?) :unsure: