SOLVED: Failed To Get Installed Software From Definitions (Software Updater)

• Moderators

Can you give anymore details?

I just a couple of hours ago downloaded/installed the slim build on a Windows 10 - 1803 with no problems.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

When in Tools clicking on the Software Updater yields an error message

"An error occurred with code: Failed to Get Installed Software From Definitions (3)"

Note: all of my applications are up-to-date.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Can you give anymore details?

I just a couple of hours ago downloaded/installed the slim build on a Windows 10 - 1803 with no problems.

I think their question is for the software updater.  Since actual updating can only be done on pro, if you have pro you can contact the developers directly with the link in my signature below

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Update - this seem to be a problem with the software updater. Another user has reported the same error.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Okay, there's now at least a third user reporting this problem (being me). I've been getting the same error message for about the last week each time I check for software updates, despite the fact that there's a happy message that everything is up to date. I installed the latest Java platform immediately prior this message box popping up every time I take a peek. I don't know whether the two are related, or whether there's just some unrelated glitch.

4 hours ago, Nergal said:

I think their question is for the software updater.  Since actual updating can only be done on pro, if you have pro you can contact the developers directly with the link in my signature below

Thanks for the link. I thought there may be some sort of resolution here. I'm pressed for time at the moment and probably won't get a moment to submit a report/query today. It's not a question of great urgency for me. If it's a glitch that's rectified, or if there's an easy tweak to fix it, it'd be useful if it were recorded here. Cheers!

Hello,

I have the same issue (CCleaner Professional latest version). When I click Software Updater: "Failed to get installed software from definitions (3)" error. (Windows Home 64-bit latest version 1903).

2 hours ago, FabioA said:

In my case, I was using the trial without problems with the Software Updater, but today I bought the license, insert the data to register and I saw this issue.

Ah ok, I am using the trial and getting this problem :(

4 hours ago, rusti4 said:

Ah ok, I am using the trial and getting this problem :(

I'm not using the trial. I'm using the paid up version, so it isn't a trial version glitch but a program glitch. Hopefully the admin will report this thread or the poor developers are going to be barraged by users with the same problem. The fact that it's already attracted a number of users suggests that something has gone wrong with the latest update(?). I'll wait before I report directly. It could be that they'll need a dump sent by a few users in order to identify where it's going wrong. It would be nice for everyone if it were something straight forward. Windows 10 Home 64-bit version being used here.

I'm having the same error   CCleaner an error occurred with code:failed to get installed software from definitions (3).   No one on the forum seems to have a solution.   Maybe it's a programming issue.   Please advise and update accordingly.   Thanks. 

I got the same error starting late last night. This is with CCleaner Pro on a Win8.1 64-bit system. On the 9th, I had restored my system to a couple-of-month-old Macrium Reflect image,, and the old version of CCleaner on that image updated itself to v5.59.7230, I ran Windows Update on the 10th. I had only started looking at CCleaner's software updater recently, since I've been using the free Glary Utilities for quite some time to keep tabs on what needs updating, but I did finally notice that CCleaner does watch some programs that Glary doesn't.

I do not normally allow any 3rd-party software updater to do any updating: I download the installation files from the software vendors, then manually install any updates. The reason is that I do restore my system to an earlier image fairly regularly (anytime Windows gets weird or anytime I get paranoid: despite having full versions of Norton, MBAM, and SuperAntiSpyware, and despite not going where I shouldn't go on the internet, I do sometimes get paranoid. If my mouse seems to move by itself, for instance, I'll immediately re-do  the system.)  Then, when I update the software on an old image, I'll update it all from the saved install files before re-connecting to the internet to update Windows, Java, and Flash.

In this case, though, CCleaner had been giving me spurious information about what needed updating. It was telling me, yesterday, that Adobe Digital Edition and Flash both needed updating, but Flash was not out of date. However, since Microsoft had not updated IE--with Flash version 32.0.0.207--and the other browsers had Flash version 32.0.0.223, I suspected that the problem was that CCleaner was "seeing" the old un-updatable Flash in IE. I downloaded the Adobe DE installer, ran it, but CCleaner still kept telling me that the program was out of date. I then went ahead (for the first time) and allowed CCleaner to try and update the programs itself, but it gave me an error, telling me that it had failed to update either one. But, it did keep telling me that those two programs needed updating. (I run CCleaner several times a day, manually; even though it automatically cleans the browsers when I exit. Then, last night, I got the "An error occurred with code: Failed To Get Installed Software From Definitions (3)." 

CCleaner error failed to get installed software from defs.JPG

• Moderators

This seems to be a common problem reported by many this week.

The software update feature seems to have been released too early, without comprehensive testing.

I have no doubt that Piriform (and Filehippo) are looking into it.

• Admin

Looks like a server outage issue has arisen over the weekend - should only impact the software updater. Appropriate folks are being poked.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

This problem is also occurring for me. It seemed to happen after the latest Widows 10 updates I installed on 10 July. KB4506991 and KB4507453.

I tried reverting to a copy of CC557 that I still had but the problem is appearing there too. I suspect something in the Win 10 update has invalidated part of the CC code.

Ray

4 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Looks like a server outage issue has arisen over the weekend - should only impact the software updater. Appropriate folks are being poked.

Thanks for letting us know about the outage. That would certainly go a long way to explaining why it hasn't been able to get installed software and appropriate updates!