track IP addresses

TheFiresInTheSky

i want to put a code on my webpage to track peoples IP's and what site they came from. ect...

does that do it? i didnt find it on there.

You could use Statcounter which will record the IP, Location, browser/screen resolution, How long they stayed on your pages and what site or search engine they came from & which pages are most popular etc....

It sounds ideal but then anyone who visits your page will have a cookie installed from statcounter and some protection programs may even block the counter and inform the user the page isnt safe because of it's use. I would imagine any counter that records that sort of information would be treated in the same way, I personally think its abit intrusive but it maybe the sort of thing your looking for.

You could use Javascripts to record how many hits the page gets and they are fine but I think to record IP addresses and what pages they come from it would need Tracking Cookies to be used.

www.statcounter.com worked pretty good for the most part.

it tells me all the information.

there a way i can stick a name to that information from a script prompt?

Hi Aaron

No I dont think that would be possible, with Statcounter being classed as an invisible web tracker I dont think there is any way to combine it into other scripts that are on your page. All you can do is copy and paste the code they provide you with onto your pages and I would assume any changes or additional features would be made from a control panel that you log into at their site. Ive never used it so I cannot be sure but just visited the site and noticed they have a forum so you maybe best asking the question on there.

This topic is interesting and does show that some Antispy/protection programs will block the tracker and maybe even the page using it.

http://forum.statcounter.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15495

Everyone debating that statcounter is falsely accused of being Spyware, what else could they call something that secretly records people's information and is hidden on a webpage :rolleyes:

i dont mind if an occasional person blocks the tracker.

how do i log what they put on the page and have it tell me the page it was posted on?

i noticed that statcounter changes the url and adds a number to the end.

if i had a blank asking for a name, how could i log it so it would send it to a seperate file or to my email?

I dont know Aaron as Ive never used it myself, Try posting the question on their forum as they will be in a better position to answer them, regarding the name I dont think you will get anything useful from that, If I visited a site and something popped up asking for my name, the reply Id type in would probably include afew swear words :)

Well I hope you dont receive what I just typed into your pop up box, I was checking the source code for the tracker but then realized its only on the Video Works page weee.gif