Cleaning VS installation packages ruins VS (winapp2.ini)

Jonathanese

This has been a rather consistent thing, but basically when I start checking items I want to clean, I have to remember to uncheck "Visual Studio Installation Packages".

The reason being, it basically breaks the Visual Studio installation so hard that it can't be updated, repaired, or uninstalled because "A dependent package cannot be found".

The fix is usually to forcibly wipe the Visual Studio folders entirely and reinstall. A bit of a pain if it just comes about from forgetting to uncheck a box.

Has anyone run into this, and found a simpler solution? And is this something CCleaner might be able to prevent through some more picky searching methods? Thanks!

• Moderators

I don't understand.  Once you've checked or unchecked a item ccleaner should remember that it's checked/unchecked. Are you uninstalling the old version before installing a new one?  If not, the checkmarks should stay the way you wanted.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

The states are being retained just fine. I just have a total of 4 computers (3 being windows) I work on and recently changed jobs so some of them were systems I had to do a fresh install of windows on. So I missed that check mark on a couple of occasions and had to write down which one not to check. It isn't so much a common occurrance, but Visual Studio is my primary IDE, and resolving the issue is such a bear that it basically knocks me out for an afternoon.

It seems that you are using the additional Winapp2.ini file, because the entry [MS Visual Studio Installation Packages *] is not an official CCleaner entry. Are you using the latest version of the Winapp2.ini file? In 2018 we fixed a problem with the installer: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/issues/291. But maybe this doesn't work properly anymore?

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to Cleaning VS installation packages ruins VS (winapp2.ini)