Microsoft's antipiracy tool phones home daily

Humpty

Quote:

The tool, called Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, is designed to validate whether a copy of Windows has been legitimately acquired. However, it also checks in with Microsoft on a daily basis, the company confirmed Wednesday.

Story

• Moderators

It's of no surprise to me that it phones home. However, now I know where those few extra bytes of data that are sent out when I log onto the Internet, although it doesn't bother me one bit because all of my commercial software is legitimate.

Even if all your commercial software is legitimate, its still not their business.

You can stop all the contacting each time you start the PC. Use your Firewall to let it connect once. After that block it! Did that couple weeks ago and I was able to get the Updates this last Tuesday. Seems as if once you let it verify it doesn't need to again unless they send an Update to the subject program. Maybe then.

Mudd

Thanks for that, Mudd. I was going to block it with my ZoneAlarm, but I didn't know if MS would give me warnings about that, so I didn't mess with it. Armed with that info, I'll make sure to deny it permission!

And I totally agree with Eldmannen. Whether or not your non-MS software is legit, it isn't any of Microsoft's damn business!! And who is to say that they only look at what software you have? What is keeping them from viewing your personal data as well? Sure, it seems silly to accuse a major corporation of illegally viewing your hard drive's contents, but since nobody is allowed to view the source code, how would we ever know?

Makes you wonder....

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Microsoft Corp.'s program for testing whether a PC is running a genuine copy of Windows, known as Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA), has drawn considerable fire from users since it was launched last July. This week, Microsoft gave users another reason to complain when it confirmed that the version of the program being delivered as a "high priority" automatic update for Windows PCs is a test version. Usually, Microsoft distributes test versions of software separately from updates, and users are given the opportunity to sign up for the software before test versions are downloaded.

Microsoft said that users still can opt out of downloading the update, called WGA Notifications, and that its user license makes it clear that it's prerelease software. However, many users don't read an entire license agreement, which can be lengthy, before downloading software to their computers. And some download all Windows updates without looking closely at the fine print.

I never downloaded it, and told my updates to hide it. :P

One thing is for sure. It shows how many people are totally stupid and blindly download these things. It is marked as High-Priority, but you don't have to download it once. It's even a pre-release software.

They're changing the call-home on it though to once every two weeks instead of daily.

But yeah, it is their business if you own and use a pirated version, it's illegal.

But yeah, it is their business if you own and use a pirated version, it's illegal.

I totally agree. As long as that is the ONLY thing they are looking for...

But I do have one question:

You (Tarun) stated that you didn't download/install it, and you have no intentions of doing so. I was under the impression that this particular WGA tool was a required download if you want to get any updates in the future. I thought it was basically a matter of either download it or receive no further Microsoft Update support. Was I wrong? Will you still receive Windows Updates even if you don't use this tool to prove to Microsoft that your copy of Windows is genuine?

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Was I wrong? Will you still receive Windows Updates even if you don't use this tool to prove to Microsoft that your copy of Windows is genuine?

Yeah, Tarun. How are you getting your updates? Are you just using a workaround? I had never found it necessary, but now I'm wondering about that. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I still have WGA installed. Thing is we're talking about two totally different things!

Notice that the original post is about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications.

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications notifies you if a copy of Microsoft Windows XP is not genuine. The notification messages only appear on computers that have failed the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process and that are running a copy of Windows XP that is not genuine. If you are running a validated, genuine copy of Windows XP, you will not receive notification messages.

About WGA

WGA is installed as a BHO in IE (and if you download it for Firefox as a plugin). It then checks with Microsoft when you go to update from their website to see if your Windows is valid.

The WGA Notifications is a downloadable application that will be installed and, since it is a pre-release it is still in testing. What it does is send a few bytes to Microsoft daily to see if your Windows is valid or not. They are currently in the process of recoding it since it is not final to check once every two weeks.

lokoike -> No, it's a High Priority update but it is not required.

High-priority updates

Microsoft Windows XP

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Download size: 935 KB , less than 1 minute

The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows.

Was I wrong? Will you still receive Windows Updates even if you don't use this tool to prove to Microsoft that your copy of Windows is genuine?

I hid the update for WGA Notifications way back when I saw it was beta and I am still able to download Windows Updates. After all, you only need WGA, not their WGA Notifications.

Yeah, Tarun. How are you getting your updates? Are you just using a workaround? I had never found it necessary, but now I'm wondering about that. :P

My Windows is genuine and running WGA which is all I need to get updates. No workarounds or anything like that. I'm legit. :P

For those who are wondering, you can read more about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. In addition, if you read about WGA Notifications it will tell you how to uninstall/temporarily disable WGA Notifications.

I hid the update for WGA Notifications way back when I saw it was beta and I am still able to download Windows Updates. After all, you only need WGA, not their WGA Notifications.

Ah, now I get what you were saying. And I didn't mean to imply that you aren't legit. I thought you just might be bypassing some BS. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Discussion-remove WGA

Interesting.

I definitely posted the link to this discussion here a few days ago, however the post then disappeared. RRidgely said he didn't remove it so I wonder where it went?

EDIT found it in an almost identical thread in this section ---

"microsoft to ease up on piracy check-ins"

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm wondering if MS will at some point make a device that must be attached to the computer like those that my mom has in order to use your sewing/embroidery software to make sure it's:

1. Legit.

2. Just to load the software.

It seems over-the-top, but it would sure as hell make casual piracy a thing of the past, and I know if I owned MS and the most popular OS I would make it damn near impossible for people to use an illegal copy.

I'm wondering if MS will at some point make a device that must be attached to the computer like those that my mom has in order to use your sewing/embroidery software to make sure it's:

1. Legit.

2. Just to load the software.

It seems over-the-top, but it would sure as hell make casual piracy a thing of the past, and I know if I owned MS and the most popular OS I would make it damn near impossible for people to use an illegal copy.

Why do you think Microsoft has been pushing so hard for Treacherous Computing (TC) ?

To get the chinese to buy their software...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Humpty, thanks nice tool! :)

Btw, at "Add/Remove programs" in control panel, you cant uninstall WGA.

But from CCleaner at the uninstall thing, you can uninstall WGA.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

My comp. has been running like s**t lately so I looked for the problem and WGA seems to be it not shure. I am experiencing problems w/limewire, Windows movie maker, Nero Vision Avid, Hollywood FX , Rhino, Etc... All progs that use alot of mem. they lock up at times slow down sometimes

I read this whole thread and didn't see one thing mentioned about how WGA is modifying my phys. memory.

Is it not a big deal? It seems like it to me. Also Yes you can uninstall WGA w/ccleaner but only one of the 3 that are on my comp. After I deleted the first one the other 2 say missing uninstaller. Any thoughts

I have cleaned my comp very well using Spybot, Adaware, Spy sweeper, CCleaner, RegScrubXP, RegMechanic, XP Tools, UnHack Me, Trojan Hunetr, NortonAV, Zone Alarm, even Mem Optimizers

@ bigbrownlog

You're problems could be malware related in that case you'd need to post a HijackThis log in the proper forum area (not here), or hardware related which something like MemTest86+ and HD Tune may or may not be able to find.

Do I need a prog to get a hijack this log? Also like I said I have used about everything out there to see if i had malware and they came up negative.

And what about them altering your phys mem does no one care about that.

• Moderators

Read this post about hijack this, the download link to the program is at the bottom of the page.

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=1720

It would be a good idea to do this as Andavari says bigbrownlog, and post the log in the hijackthis log section of this forum

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

My comp. has been running like s**t lately so I looked for the problem and WGA seems to be it not shure. I am experiencing problems w/limewire, Windows movie maker, Nero Vision Avid, Hollywood FX , Rhino, Etc... All progs that use alot of mem. they lock up at times slow down sometimes

I read this whole thread and didn't see one thing mentioned about how WGA is modifying my phys. memory.

Is it not a big deal? It seems like it to me. Also Yes you can uninstall WGA w/ccleaner but only one of the 3 that are on my comp. After I deleted the first one the other 2 say missing uninstaller. Any thoughts

I have cleaned my comp very well using Spybot, Adaware, Spy sweeper, CCleaner, RegScrubXP, RegMechanic, XP Tools, UnHack Me, Trojan Hunetr, NortonAV, Zone Alarm, even Mem Optimizers

Sounds like you have a deep rooted, dll based, winlogonNotify based spyware...just a hunch. What type of files are being generated in your temp directorie(s)?

What the hell are you talking about? "Modifying" your physical memory? You are just lost. You do need to try Memtest86+, or take your computer to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)