New Version Says I Have A Browser I Don't Have

Downloaded the new version of CCleaner 5.57 with no problems as usual. However I noticed when I ran it for the first time, it said I had, besides the usual Windows 10 browsers, that I had Chrome, Firefox, both of which are true, BUT it also said I had the Opera browser and tried to go through the cleaning process for that browser. Pretty slick because I used to have Opera installed on my computer, but uninstalled it awhile ago. So I thought maybe CCleaner is still recognizing it from when it was installed. So I uninstalled CCleaner, rebooted my computer and then reinstalled CCleaner again. Opened CCleaner again, and it still thinks I have opera installed! I used a reputable uninstall program (Revo Uninstaller) to uninstall Opera that I have used for a long time and it does a good job of completely uninstalling programs, including registry files and leftover system files. So I don't know why CCleaner still thinks I have Opera installed, but it keeps trying to clean it when I run it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Moderators

There is probably one or more left over registry entries for Opera somewhere.

Revo is good, but like any uninstaller it can sometimes miss something.
(Maybe you set something somewhere to open in Opera? Uninstalling Opera wouldn't clear that setting).

If you have Revo Pro then you could try a 'Forced Uninstall' to see if that will clear it.

Otherwise if you are comfortable with using the registry editor you could search the registry yourself for anything that mentions Opera.
Usual warning - If you don't know what you are doing with the registry editor then don't use it, you could brick your computer.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

i have opera deinstalled and ccleaner find no opera on my os...

try this -> reinstall opera -> restart your os for sure -> uninstall with windows uninstaller 

perhaps there are some problems in the past with uninstaller from opera or between opera and w10 or between ccleaner and w10 :wacko:

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

and take a look in your hdd for some "opera" stuff

c:\user\yournick\appdata\local

c:\user\yournick\appdata\locallow

c:\user\yournick\appdata\roaming

c:\programm files (x86)

perhaps

c:\progammdata

c:\programs

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

It's been ages since I've used Opera, however I do remember it always leaving a registry key behind even after it had been uninstalled - then again most browsers do that. If it was made the default browser then a good amount could be left behind in the registry.

hkey current user -> software -> opera software ?

Thanks to all, especially nukecad and trium. Found some leftovers in the Registry Editor under HKEY CURRENT USER ->SOFTWARE. Will uninstall CCleaner, reboot and then reinstall CCleaner and see what happens! Hopefully that will solve the problem. If I still have problems, might try the suggestion tp reinstall Opera and let Windows 10 uninstaller do its thing and see if I get better results. Will let you all know. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, stevecripe57 said:

Thanks to all, especially nukecad and trium. Found some leftovers in the Registry Editor under HKEY CURRENT USER ->SOFTWARE. Will uninstall CCleaner, reboot and then reinstall CCleaner and see what happens! Hopefully that will solve the problem. If I still have problems, might try the suggestion tp reinstall Opera and let Windows 10 uninstaller do its thing and see if I get better results. Will let you all know. Thanks again!

Final post regarding this issue (I think). That did the trick! After I deleted those leftover registry entries pertaining to Opera, uninstalled CCleaner, rebooted my laptop and then reinstalled CCleaner, it now shows no sign of the Opera browser. And it accurately shows the browsers that I actually do have installed. So all is well for now. Thanks again to all for the help!