[SOLVED] CCleaner v5.57 crashes my old Toshiba laptop

TOSHIBA Satellite L300-1FI laptop computer has served me since 2009 or for 10 years now. And just as long has CCleaner worked on this hardware. Windows 10 with the latest updates has been installed, and it runs just fine. But when I installed CCleaner 5.57 and tried to run it, the screen went completely black, keyboard and mouse non-responsive. The only way to regain control was to hold the power button 5 seconds to force shutdown, then reboot, and avoid opening CCleaner!

This particular computer model has a known issue with Intel graphics drivers, which are buggy and haven't received updates after 2009. Programs that use hardware acceleration are prone to crash. I wonder if this is the case here, too?

Hi all!   :)

... and sorry for my terrible English! :wacko:
I'm having exactly the same issue with CCleaner 5.57.7182 release.
My machine is: Win10 Pro 64bit (1809), VGA Intel GMA 4500M.

Everything was ok till 5.56.7144, after updating to 5.57.7182 my notebook started having problems.

I mean:
1) I launch CCleaner;
2) immediately the video starts flashing, with several black screen and however it appears to be more lighting when it's not black;
3) after three or four rapidly flashing, the OS hangs and I must shut down pressing for a while the on/off button.

Even if I modify the compatibility settings in "Proprieties" (by the shortcut), I obtain the same issue.

I'll try to downgrade to a previous version or to use the portable one, otherwise I'll install another cleaner, but I should prefer to remain with CCleaner ... :unsure:

P.S.
In other my computers with different configurations (and different graphics card, too) I haven't any difficulties.

Cheers from Italy!

- - -

Edit: even the portable version (both 64 and 32 bit) crashes and the video got black. :(

On 16.5.2019 at 07:24, hazelnut said:

If you click on start flag and immediately type  Reliability History what does it show when you click on it and it loads the info?

What version of Win 10 are you using.. 1809?

My system is Finnish, but the Reliability History shows just "Windows was not properly shut down" a few times, when translated into English.
The operating system is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Version 1809 Build 17763.503 as hazelnut guessed.

9 hours ago, markinson said:

1) I launch CCleaner;
2) immediately the video starts flashing, with several black screen and however it appears to be more lighting when it's not black;
3) after three or four rapidly flashing, the OS hangs and I must shut down pressing for a while the on/off button.

Yeah, exactly the same happens in my system, when the screen goes black. I suspect it has to do with the Intel display driver. I have searched both Toshiba and Intel websites for updates, but to no avail.

5 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

I suspect it has to do with the Intel display driver. I have searched both Toshiba and Intel websites for updates, but to no avail.

That's it, I think so: something about and around graphic card or video driver (3d acceleration? the new CCleaner GUI? I don't know ...).
This probably could explain flashing and lighting. I think there is a video-graphic issue because actually under the system is running, in fact if you rapidly press CTRL-ALT-CANC you'll be able to shut the computer (an old ASUS notebook for me) regularly, without force.
No updates for me, too. :(

Now, I downgraded to previous portable version and everything is ok.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1809 build 17763.503, confirmed for me, too.

Cheers from Italy!

• 3 weeks later...

I am therefore sorry to have the same problem with the new release 5.58.7209 (both the installation and the portable version).
Now I have to make another choice, leaving CCleaner in this (old) machine.
It's a pity for me. 
:(

Exact same symptoms with an elderly Samsung RV510 (W10-64 bit).  Gone back to  5.55 for now but will need to look elsewhere at some point.  This machine also has Intel Graphics (4 Series Express)

Various other W10 64 bit machines are OK.

On 8.6.2019 at 14:50, markinson said:

I am therefore sorry to have the same problem with the new release 5.58.7209 (both the installation and the portable version).
Now I have to make another choice, leaving CCleaner in this (old) machine.
It's a pity for me. 
:(

On 8.6.2019 at 16:24, richhol said:

Exact same symptoms with an elderly Samsung RV510 (W10-64 bit).  Gone back to  5.55 for now but will need to look elsewhere at some point.  This machine also has Intel Graphics (4 Series Express)

Various other W10 64 bit machines are OK.

Thanks for posting, markinson. Now I won't even bother trying to install version 5.58 on my computer.
It's really a pity for CCleaner, as the product is advertised to make old devices feel like new again.

And thanks richhol, too. One of my relatives has an old Samsung RV515 with ATI Graphics and CCleaner is working fine. I guess the problem really is with Intel Graphics, and there's nothing Piriform Ltd can do about it? Like an option to turn off hardware acceleration, within the installer.

6 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

Thanks for posting, markinson. Now I won't even bother trying to install version 5.58 on my computer.

You're welcome, Ksenom_O!
Probably it would be enough to set a tick somewhere or to disable a function I don't know how and where, but ... that's it: I don't know. :(

Cheers from Italy!

• Admin

For those having issues that appear to be graphics-card related (flashing video, black screen, etc) can you post your graphics card model and driver version please?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

47 minutes ago, Dave CCleaner said:

For those having issues that appear to be graphics-card related (flashing video, black screen, etc) can you post your graphics card model and driver version please?

Speccy says my graphics information is as follows.

Manufacturer: Intel
Model: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Revision: 8
Subvendor: Toshiba (1179)
Driver version: 8.15.10.1883

Speccy (very similar to Ksenom_O) on Samsung RV510:

Manufacturer    Intel
Model    Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Revision    A
Subvendor    Samsung (144D)
Driver version    8.15.10.1892

intel 4 series express ...

the driver-page shows only driver til w7...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/product/81507

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Admin

Firstly, congratulations for getting those old cards to work on recent versions of Windows 10 at all! I gather that generation of graphics cards was never completely Windows 10 compatible ...

While CCleaner certainly doesn't do anything particularly fancy with graphics it is possible that something seemingly innocuous like a loading bar is triggering a latent bug in the drivers.  A couple of options:

1) Updating to the 2013 version of driver (8.15.10.2702) from Microsoft http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q= Intel Corporation driver update for Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Microsoft ... which may also assist with incompatibility with other software. 

2) Or, if you don't feel like poking at your graphics card, rolling back to CCleaner 5.56 (https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/90490/) ... and setting it not to ping you with update notifications so it doesn't tease you with the new releases.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

23 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

1) Updating to the 2013 version of driver (8.15.10.2702) from Microsoft http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q= Intel Corporation driver update for Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Microsoft ... which may also assist with incompatibility with other software.

I wasn't aware of such a version, as it cannot be found on the websites of Toshiba or Intel. It was difficult to install this update. Windows insisted that the "best driver" is already installed. I had to uninstall the existing driver from Device Manager (which of course caused a black screen) disconnect the internet, reboot, and then manually update from the folder where I had unpacked the cabinet file.

Anyway, now CCleaner v5.58 works on my computer!
Thank you very much, Dave!

• Ksenom_O changed the title to [SOLVED] CCleaner v5.57 crashes my old Toshiba laptop

First, thank you all for any piece of advice. ;)
I solved, too! :)
Immediately I followed the instructions of Dave, I mean:

On 11/6/2019 at 20:54, Dave CCleaner said:

I've had the same problems of Ksenom_O, in particular:

12 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

It was difficult to install this update. Windows insisted that the "best driver" is already installed. I had to uninstall the existing driver from Device Manager (which of course caused a black screen) disconnect the internet, reboot, and then manually update from the folder where I had unpacked the cabinet file.

Anyway, now CCleaner v5.58 works on my computer!
Thank you very much, Dave!

but for me it was enough, after the black screen, to shut down the computer, then restarted it and from Device Manager install the drivers downloaded form Microsoft Catalog.

Now I'm using the CCleaner (x64) portable release 5.58.7209 without any difficulties. 

The only difference is that I "lost" in the systray the icon of my Intel VGA (old and previous) Driver, but I'm able to manipulate the colors (sorry for my English!) by Windows interface.

Have a nice day and cheers from Italy!

• Moderators

I don't know about those older versions. However, with the newest 2019 driver you can open the Intel control panel via two ways:
* Right click an empty area on the desktop and select: Intel Graphic Settings
* Go into the Windows Control Panel, change the view from Category to either Small Icons or Large Icon and it will list everything. From there select: Intel Graphic Settings

24 minutes ago, Andavari said:

I don't know about those older versions. However, with the newest 2019 driver you can open the Intel control panel via two ways:
* Right click an empty area on the desktop and select: Intel Graphic Settings
* Go into the Windows Control Panel, change the view from Category to either Small Icons or Large Icon and it will list everything. From there select: Intel Graphic Settings

Thank you for your answer, anyway using this "new" drivers I "lost" all the Intel Graphic Settings GUI (my English is terrible, I know ...).

I mean that both "right click" and "Windows Control Panel - Small/Large Icons" don't show voice Intel Graphic Settings.

I think this is because in the past I installed the old drivers by a setup process (with a setup.exe file) that install both drivers and GUI for Intel Graphic Settings, while now I installed only the drivers for my graphic card.

I hope I was able to explain ... :blink:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I was not able to find out a newer "setup.exe", most of all into your PC manufacturer's website: my computer now is too old to receive any kind of updates.

Anyway, THANK YOU so much for your kindness!

Hoping this would be useful, for those who have the same problem.
I found out a little but extremely functionally software which name is Gamma Panel. It is standalone, it works with Windows 10 and it can adjust brightness, contrast and gamma of the screen in real time. You can also save a preferred configuration.
At the end, you are able to put this little executable into the Startup directory too, so it will run every time Windows starts.
So, for now at least, great: drivers updated and a sort of GUI for these found out.
Greeting from Italy!

From what I could see, the calibration of the monitor is something similar, but not exactly that I was looking for, both in terms of result and due to the immediacy of the changes. Gamma Panel, in its simplicity, allows immediate intervention on those parameters (brightness, contrast and gamma) at hand in the Intel GUI which, with the new drivers, I have lost.
However, for the moment, the question on my behalf seems to be resolved.
Thank you all for every suggestion and support. ;)