Chrome - only Internet cache checked, but

I always update to the latest Ccleaner version.  Under Chrome, I only have internet cache checked.

When I reopen Chrome, all the previous open tabs are there, BUT they are all closed and  I must click on each tab to open them again. Because many are youtube tabs, clicking on them starts the audio/video so I must go back to each one to pause the video in order to shut them up.

Anyone know which setting in CCleaner causes this? Thanks.

Paul

• Moderators

Is this only happening after you have run CCleaner?

If you have CCleaner Pro then do you have Automatic Browser cleaning selected?
If so then turn it off while you try the 2 things below.

What happens if you close Chrome, don't run CC, and then reopen Chrome?
And what happens if you uncheck 'internet cache' and do run CC then reopen Chrome?

Just trying to work out if it is CCleaner causing the issue, or if it may be something in Chrome itself.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad,

Thanks for the questions. 

1- only happens after running CCleaner

2- I use CCleaner free

3-  I close Chrome nightly using the menu/exit and it does not happen unless running CCleaner

4- Unchecking Chrome internet cache prevents this from happening, but obviously I'd like to do whatever I can to speed up Chrome without deleting things like passwords. I don't object to cookies as they make it easier to access familiar sites, but I"m open to suggestions about items to check in any category.  

This does not happen to Firefox when the same "internet cache" is checked.

I use the wipe free space maybe once every two years - same with registry cleaner (with everything checked).

I don't use smart cleaning or scheduling. Secure deletion on "normal". 

Paul

• Moderators
1 hour ago, paulbike said:

1- only happens after running CCleaner

4- Unchecking Chrome internet cache prevents this from happening,

Pretty conclusive that it's something that CC is cleaning from the Chrome Cache that is closing the tabs then.
(The logging into youtube and running may be something else, see below).

As no one else has responded it looks as if you are going have to find the problem file yourself.

I don't have Chrome on my computer, but here's how I would go about it.
(It's a bit tedious/repetative, most troubleshooting usually is):

• In CCleaner Right click on Chrome 'Internet Cache' and select 'Analyze Internet Cache' from the pop-up menu.
    It should report so many KB in so many files,.
  • Double click that line and it will list the files. (Don't worry if you can't see the full names).
  • Right click any of the files and it will give you an option to 'Save to text file', which makes the next bit easier.
    The names themselves probably won't give you much of a clue as to what they are.
  • I would now start adding the filenames to the 'Exclude' list in CCleaner Options. You can cut and paste the full path/file name from that saved textfile.
    (Doing a few at a time is probably quicker than one at once)
  • Then ope/ close Chrome, run ccleaner and see if the problem still occurs.
  • If it does then remove those entries from Exclude, and try the next few filenames.
  • And so on until the problem stops.
  • Once the problem has stopped then you can look at those few Excluded files and try them one at once to see which is the one you need to leave as an Exclude.

An alternative method would be to put ALL the filenames into the Exclude list and remove them one at once until the problem starts again, then the last file that you removed from the Exclude is the problem one.

Either method is tedious work, but it should pinpoint which file you need to Exclude to stop CCleaner clearing it.
Of course there may be more than one file involved which could make it trickier.

The logging into, and running, the youtube videos may be because of something else (I came across it yesterday).

Youtube is owned by google and they have a habit of syncing their programmes without asking you.
eg. Gmail,  youtube  and Chrome are all synced, logging into one logs you into the others.

This article talks about Gmail and Chrome, but also mentions that youtube is involved.
https://searchengineland.com/when-users-log-into-gmail-or-youtube-theyre-now-also-logged-in-to-chrome-305801

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll have a look at the link you enclosed.  Because I only run CCleaner about once a month, if faced with this cumbersome way to identify the problem, my first reaction is that it might be easier to manually re-open all the tabs than to try to find the specific file culprit(s). Maybe I can use this as a good reason to combine and delete some tabs for efficiency. I imagine that might also speed up Chrome generally as an added bonus.

Thanks again. 

• Moderators

It's usually a good idea to have think now and again about the way you are working, we all get stuck with habits.

TBH I only ever open Firefox with one tab set at my homepage. (Google search).

With broadband speeds these days it's easy and fast enough to just open another tab/webpage when you want it rather than having it loaded all the time.
Having your regularly visited sites in your bookmarks/favourites means two clicks and your wanted site is open in a new tab in a second.

Of course everybody works differently, and we all have our own preferd methods.

Yes, quite right about revising habits from time to time. For me, I tend to leave tabs open when I search for something that I'd like to reference later, but have no need to keep as a bookmark. Once read, if it's valuable for later, I'll just move the website to the appropriate folder on my desktop. But, lots of things interest me and I never know what will grab my attention so this approach generally works. Since I keep open tabs to under 30, I don't think it hurts me much. But, it's always great to have a look. Thanks for you insights and help.

Paul