I'm new to Firefox

Woody

Hi everybody. Well I've finally taken the plunge and downloaded Firefox, been meaning to try it for ages. I've only ever used IE before and atm everything seems a bit odd. I know that a lot of people here use Firefox, so any help, advice or encouragement will be much appreciated. I feel all at sea right now.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

Well its pretty similar to internet explorer but a lot more customizable. You can pretty much change anything you want about it.

Some things I always do when I convert someone to firefox are:

1. Firetune- This will speed firefox up considerably. Its available here and quite easy to use:

http://www.totalidea.com/content/firetune/...tune-index.html

2. Adblock and filter set G updater- These combined extensions will greatly improve your internet experience by blocking ALL adds that you might encounter on the internet.

Adblock

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

Filter Set G updater

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

3. Remember this site(its bookmarked in FF by default)

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/

This site is the place to get all extensions and themes to further customize FF to your liking. You can pretty much do anything with it.

Thanks rridgely for the quick reply. I've already dowloaded Adblock, No script and Tab mix plus. I've never used tabbed browsing before so don't really know how to use it for the best, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with a bit of experimentation.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

I'm not a fan of no script. I dont like having to load sites twice to get them to load fully because that extension blocks something. Yeah I know its for security but I want security and no hassle. :D

Tabs are nice when you multi task and research. I usually have about 10-15 of them open at all times while I reply to various forums, check email, ect. Remember that ctrl+T is the hotkey to open tabs. I have FF to set to load google for each new tab that I open(I did this with tab browser preferences but tab mix might do this as well).

Here are my extensions if you need some suggestions.(google toolbar is where I get spell check icon from)

untitled3lj.th.jpg

Thanks once again. I must say that FF makes IE feel rather old and tired. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of no script. I dont like having to load sites twice to get them to load fully because that extension blocks something. Yeah I know its for security but I want security and no hassle. :D

Tabs are nice when you multi task and research. I usually have about 10-15 of them open at all times while I reply to various forums, check email, ect. Remember that ctrl+T is the hotkey to open tabs. I have FF to set to load google for each new tab that I open(I did this with tab browser preferences but tab mix might do this as well).

Here are my extensions if you need some suggestions.(google toolbar is where I get spell check icon from)

untitled3lj.th.jpg

Just a quick update. I've been playing with Firefox for about a week now, and I have to say I think it's wonderful. I can't see myself ever using IE again. Btw rridgely, I just love the colorful tabs extension, thanks for that. :)

Just a quick update. I've been playing with Firefox for about a week now, and I have to say I think it's wonderful. I can't see myself ever using IE again. Btw rridgely, I just love the colorful tabs extension, thanks for that. :)

Glad to see that you enjoy using Firefox :)

Check out this thread on Lunarsoft.Net for a list of more helpful and useful extensions.

IE HATTERS!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

When are you going to wise up and give into peer pressure dude!?!? ROFLMAO (I crack myself up sometimes, hehehe).

FIRE FOX RULES...IE SUX

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Btw rridgely, I just love the colorful tabs extension, thanks for that. :)

If you like that try PageStyle2Tab, gives the tabs the same colour or design as the page. Very useful for telling tabs apart and looks good too IMO (you'll need to temporarily disable Colorful Tabs if you try it though)

" Check out this thread on Lunarsoft.Net for a list of more helpful and useful extensions. "

Great link, thanks for that Zaphirer. It should keep me busy for a while. :)