Cookies

I am also having a problem on Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit ver 1809....reinstalled fresh 2nd time...and I still cannot see any cookies from any browser...and I also want to keep some...Also when running the cleaner...no matter the cookies are selected in all browsers....the Cleaner does not erase any of it.

I am using CCleaner 5.50 now....but this problem was present for some time in the last updated versions...I was happy when I saw a new version because I hoped I would see the cookies again..

Strange thing is this only happens on Windows 10 machines...no matter what version....I have some others with Windows 7...and I dont have this issue

• Moderators

Yes, this is a known bug in the current build, hopefully it's fixed in next.  If you move a cookie from cookies to keep, I believe they should reappear.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

8 hours ago, Nergal said:

Yes, this is a known bug in the current build, hopefully it's fixed in next.  If you move a cookie from cookies to keep, I believe they should reappear.

Its a pity that we could not move back to a previous version without losing anything or screwing up any settings while this 'Bug' is being fixed.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Andavari said:

Assuming it "will let you downgrade" when a newer version is already installed

I've switched versions up and down with no problems, just run the installer for the older version and it will replace the newer version.
Your settings, exclusions, etc. will be kept.

You can also just extract the .exe from the portable (if you have the old portable zip) and replace the current .exe, no need to run the installer.

I've even had more than one version running at the same time to compare them in side-by-side windows. (Again by extracting the .exe's from the portable)

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

I've switched versions up and down with no problems, just run the installer for the older version and it will replace the newer version.
Your settings, exclusions, etc. will be kept.

You can also just extract the .exe from the portable (if you have the old portable zip) and replace the current .exe, no need to run the installer.

I've even had more than one version running at the same time to compare them in side-by-side windows. (Again by extracting the .exe's from the portable)

Well I've now gone 'backwards' to Version 5.40.6411 installing each one over the top of the 'newer' version and still the 'Cookies on computer' screen is blank!

I have also deliberately used websites that are not in the 'Saved cookies' list.

This was done using Chrome as the browser.  

******This might just be the answer*******

I didn't notice when I went back to Version 5.40.6411 but at the top of the list of 'Cookies to keep' there was a BLANK space which I clicked on and it highlighted the space.

I then moved to the 'Which side do you want it Arrow Head and moved it to the 'Cookies to delete' side of the page and blow me down with a feather about 300 Cookies suddenly appeared!

I then wiped out all of the 'Cookies to delete' by running CCleaner and those cookies were erased.

I then reinstalled Version 555, closed the program after installing and went and 'collected' a few new cookies that I didn't want after I had finished.

Then after closing Chrome I opened up CCleaner/Options and the 'Blank' space was no longer there, while the cookies that I didn't want to keep are all lined up on the left hand side of the page to be removed!!!

Yippee!

I hope this works for you as it seems that 'Blank Space' at the top of the 'Cookies to Keep' is also keeping the ones you want to get rid of!!

Good luck! 

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

This is what I have done for now and it works. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Traveller11 said:

Well I've now gone 'backwards' to Version 5.40.6411 installing each one over the top of the 'newer' version and still the 'Cookies on computer' screen is blank!

I wasn't suggesting that as a solution to this particular problem, merely confirming that it can be done.

I'm not sure why extracting the old .exe from an old portable and replacing the current one seems to have worked for @Racerbob - because just doing that would not change/remove any settings or registry entries?
It may be just a coincidence, CCleaner seems to be altering its own registry entries on a daily basis for some reason.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Well I am just reporting that this is working for me. The best that I can tell is that CCleaner is working normally for me and that cookies are being cleaned from the browser I mainly use and that is Vivaldi. (CCleaner detects that as being Chrome) As a long time CCleaner user, one thing that I have always used it for is saving some cookies for selected sites that I visit often. 

Oh, the exe that I am using is from the portable 5.52.6967 version. So to sum up, I did a clean install of the newest version and then replaced the exe file in my  CCleaner directory in my Programs and created a shortcut to that. 

10 hours ago, Andavari said:

There's many of us including myself that are on that version - for obvious reasons!

Yep. I decided to roll back to that version also. There is another cookie post in this forum where on March 19 it was stated that a new beta would be out "next week". That week has come and gone.  

21 hours ago, nukecad said:

I wasn't suggesting that as a solution to this particular problem, merely confirming that it can be done.

I'm not sure why extracting the old .exe from an old portable and replacing the current one seems to have worked for @Racerbob - because just doing that would not change/remove any settings or registry entries?
It may be just a coincidence, CCleaner seems to be altering its own registry entries on a daily basis for some reason.

Hi nukecad,

Your 'suggestion' wasn't taken as a solution.

The 'solution' I found later and posted the response at 12:20 yesterday so I am now running the latest version of CCleaner with no problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The full version of 5.56 was released earlier today. Don't know if it will cure the issue for you.

I finely figured it out, anyway it works for me. Note before removing CCleaner I exported my cookies to save on right side.

After I removed CCleaner and reloaded, I removed all the default cookies to keep on right side except one *.avast. CCleaner puts a bunch default cookies to keep that I don't want to keep.
Then I right click on *.avast and imported the list I had saved earlier. This worked all was well!

Note:
If I cleared ALL the defaults and then imported there was always a blank line at top of list on right side and if I removed it things didn't work, the blank line would always come back at the top.

Even after getting it to work, If I remove *.avast from the top line to the left it stops working, if I add *.advast back in to top right column- it works. They are requiring I keep *.avast on the first line.

All very strange and I am tired of working with it!
BTW I had tries one of the BETA releases, forget which one and it didn't work. Bottom line I found I must have *.avast in top line and not a blank.

Finally I found out what's happening with cookies list and how to bring it back. You don't even need to close CCleaner during this process.

1) Turn on "Options/Advanced/Save all settings to INI file"

2) Open "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.ini" with administrator rights in any text editor.

3) Find the line starting with CookiesToSave=|

4) Remove pipe | after = and save the file

5) All cookies are in place now

If you prefer you can turn off "Options/Advanced/Save all settings to INI file" now