Last CCleaner v5.54.7088 window not resizing.

divot

• Moderators

I seem to recall a recent answer from one of the Piriform staff that said they were going to increase the minimum size of the user interface.

I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT- Here it is from 29th January:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

It does make quite a difference doesn't it?

Here's a comparison screenshot of the minimum sizes of 5.53 and 5.54

image.thumb.png.c4b4ae30a448a06df57109507fa30bf0.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have this same problem and have noticed it for perhaps the last three iterations of CCleaner. Used to be able to resize toe window to my preference and would like to be able to do so again. I simply don't understand why this functionality is apparently saddled with and ever increasing minimum window size.

I don't like it -- give me back the flexibility to resize the window on my PC to my preference.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, nikki605 said:

It still has the graphic in the lower right corner of the window like you should be able to resize it, but it doesn't work.

You can still use that to drag it bigger if you want and then drag it back down to the fixed size again, but Piriform have decided that 1010 x 700 pixels is the smallest they will let you make it.

I guess it's all to do with the general dumbing down, and less user control, of the UI that they seem to be intent on.

On 31/01/2019 at 12:05, Ben Piriform said:

However, the only change we have made to the minimum window size in the last few years has been with Quick Clean.

And that statement lasted for all of a month before they forced it on everyone, Quick Clean or not.

I just installed the latest update of CCleaner (CCsetup554) and the damn window is off the bottom of my screen! It won't let me resize the window by pulling it down from the top (like other windows do), and I can't reach the bottom to pull it up; result is that I cant run the program, because the 'Clean' button is off the bottom of the screen!

Maybe I could get it visible by changing my screen resolution, but that would mess up every other program I use. Why the HELL can't these damn computer programmers remember the old engineering advice?

"If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!"

The hell with their 'update'; I'm going back to 553.

Edited by Jack E
typo

• Moderators

You should be able to click and hold to 'grab' the middle of the white bar (not the edge) at the top to move the whole window up the screen.

Unless your desktop is less than 700 pixels high?

17 hours ago, nukecad said:

You should be able to click and hold to 'grab' the middle of the white bar (not the edge) at the top to move the whole window up the screen.

Unless your desktop is less than 700 pixels high?

I tried that, but I can't move it up enough to be able to reach the bottom of the window, so I can't click on 'Clean', nor reduce the size of the window from the bottom. My screen dispay is 712 pixels high. I also tried going back to the last version of CCleaner, but it doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

Thanks for trying to help, but I've given up on CC, and gone over to [competition], which works on my set-up with no problems.

Best regards,

Jack E.

Edited by Nergal
removed competition software name

4 hours ago, Jack E said:

I just installed the latest update of CCleaner (CCsetup554) and the damn window is off the bottom of my screen! It won't let me resize the window by pulling it down from the top (like other windows do), and I can't reach the bottom to pull it up; result is that I cant run the program, because the 'Clean' button is off the bottom of the screen!

Maybe I could get it visible by changing my screen resolution, but that would mess up every other program I use. Why the HELL can't these damn computer programmers remember the old engineering advice?

"If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!"

The hell with their 'update'; I'm going back to 553.

Yeah I concur with Jack E. I'm running an old XP machine at 1280 x 800 pixels and after the 554 update, when minimized, the analyze and run cleaner buttons drop about 2 inches and off the bottom of the screen with no way to fix manually. If I maximize, everything is restored normal.  Seems bass-ackwards to me as if it's toggling the wrong way. My windows 7 laptop and windows 10 desktop are working okay. I'm no computer wiz by any stretch, but this just isn't right. Might want to take another look-see on this update as I'm sure they'll be more complaints about this. At least I can use the program in the maximum position.

~Mike

• Moderators

I haven't actually counted the pixels, LOL, maybe they made it bigger than the 1010x700 that they previously stated?

EDIT- I have now, it's 1010 x 701 when pulled to it's minimum limits on my desktop.

Looks like your only option (for now) is to go back to 5.53 or earlier, Andavari has give the link above.

(I can get 5.53 down to 786 x 593 pixels).

Guest Stephen CCleaner
14 hours ago, Mike R said:

Yeah I concur with Jack E. I'm running an old XP machine at 1280 x 800 pixels and after the 554 update, when minimized, the analyze and run cleaner buttons drop about 2 inches and off the bottom of the screen with no way to fix manually. If I maximize, everything is restored normal.  Seems bass-ackwards to me as if it's toggling the wrong way. My windows 7 laptop and windows 10 desktop are working okay. I'm no computer wiz by any stretch, but this just isn't right. Might want to take another look-see on this update as I'm sure they'll be more complaints about this. At least I can use the program in the maximum position.

~Mike

You may be able to resolve this by deleting the following registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner

• WINDOW_HEIGHT
  • WINDOW_LEFT
  • WINDOW_MAX
  • WINDOW_TOP
  • WINDOW_WIDTH

This will regenerate the defaults and should leave space for a single-height taskbar along the horizontal or vertical at 1024x768 resolution. We didn't want to reset these keys as this would wipe all users' size preferences, and only a small fraction could be affected adversely as you have been.

I have the same issue where I can't resize the window. I tried deleting the reg keys like you suggested, but that didn't do anything. My resolution is 1600 X 900.  Guess I'll go back to earlier version too. I think there are more users affected than you may realize.

On 3/5/2019 at 16:00, Harrynhoot said:

I have this same problem and have noticed it for perhaps the last three iterations of CCleaner. Used to be able to resize toe window to my preference and would like to be able to do so again. I simply don't understand why this functionality is apparently saddled with and ever increasing minimum window size.

I don't like it -- give me back the flexibility to resize the window on my PC to my preference.

HERE HERE !!!

• Moderators

When I initially tried 5.54 very briefly I never even noticed it because I always have CCleaner maximized so it honoured that setting, all looked normal.

Just trying out 5.54 Portable briefly again with no previous settings I can to see what all the fuss is about -- but the program window can be maximized. In this process I bumped into something I've never seen Win10 do before with a re-sizable program that's currently over-sized and running off screen -- just drag the whole program window to the top of the screen and Win10 auto-magically maximizes the size so the whole program fits on screen.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

I have 3 laptops and CCleaner now goes off the bottom of all 3.  It is very frustrating.  I can't click the button to clean.  I don't really know how to try that fix with the registry keys.

What happens if you maximise it? (Click the little square top right of the window).

Windows should fit it to the desktop so you can then access the buttons.

• Moderators

I'd just close it from maximised and it should remember that.

So it will open maximised, you use it to clean, then close it again.

TBH you don't need to see anything else when you are cleaning and it's over pretty quickly (usually).

• Moderators

From what Piriform have said it's more to do with the new 'dumbed down' features they are introducing. (Or forcing on users, depending on your point of view).

I would not be surprised to suddenly find after an update that CC will then only run in full screen mode.