Installation bug?

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version (v5.54.7088) on three computers, with no problems on one Win10H laptop but issues on another Win10H laptop and a Win7Ult desktop -- on the latter two, the installation process stopped when the executable ccleaner64.exe was attempting to overwrite the existing file.  In all cases, I had begun by simply launching the installation executable (stored on an external thumb drive) using the Start|Run option.  The error message box which pops up gives an option to abort, retry or ignore -- retrying generates the same error, ignoring leaves to previous cclearner64.exe file in place so the installation isn't fully updated.

I've been able to correct the issue in the Win10H machine by aborting, then rebooting and using Windows Explorer to drill down to the installation executable, then right-clicking to "run as administrator" -- this seemed to resolve whatever permissions issue was present in the original attempt on that machine, but it didn't work on the Win7Ult desktop.  There wasn't an issue on the other Win10H laptop, so now I'm left with a problem on the older OS.

Any thoughts?

Edited by jhvance
correct the description

There was an instance of the updated version's installer which remained in Task Manager despite the toggle of that "Abort" switch (thanks for that -- the developers might want to correct the oversight), so I terminated it and tried the installer again -- no joy, as the same behavior repeated.  So, I again terminated the process tree in Task Manager, then rebooted and tried it again -- no joy, again.  So, a complete uninstall was in order.

That older machine still has a registered version of Revo Uninstaller on it, so I launched it with subsequent instruction to root out the CCleaner installation completely under an "agressive" profile; once that ran through the Piriform uninstaller and found remaining dregs, I deleted all of those (one of which was the offending file, ccleaner64.exe -- that sucker was a lot more resistant to removal than I would ever have thought normal for non-malware) and again rebooted.  No sign of CCleaner, so I could try a completely fresh install, which seems to have worked so the issue-du-jour can be marked as "resolved".

Does make me wonder about the recent trajectory toward more user-unfriendly behavior on the part of this long-utilized app with the transition to Avast's umbrella, though...

I get this error as well, and followed Andavari's recommendations but the same error occurs.

Any idea when a solution is going to be implemented?  This is happening to a lot of people, and it's not the first time it has happened.

• Moderators

No it's not the first time it's been happening about 2 years now, supposedly they're trying to fix it.

See if anything in here helps:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/5739-solution-when-ccleaner-wont-install-or-download-windows/

If you still can't install CCleaner notice in that topic I linked to about using the Portable ZIP version to update CCleaner, that should work without issue.