version 5.54.7708 (64bit) does not clean all trackers

I have ran the cleaner for trackers and other items I have toggled and the trackers for internet explorer, windows explorer, and system will not completely clean off.  No matter how many times I run the cleaner there are trackers left.  I'm using an hp 2 in 1 with windows 10 preinstalled.

• Moderators

Firstly they are not 'trackers'.

For some (marketing) reason CCleaner now calls everything it finds a tracking file on the simple display screen, none of them are trackers they are just temporary files.
They are not tracking you.

Why do they come back?
Some files that CCleaner clears will come back almost immediately.
These are files that Windows creates as empty files to put things in later, when you delete them Windows recreates them as empty files.

Think of it like someone putting an empty box on your desk for you to put temporary notes in. (Windows makes an empty temporary file).
You gradually fill it up with notes and then throw the box away to get rid of the notes you don't want. (Windows writes temporary things there, you run CCleaner).
So they immediatey put a new empty box in its place for you to start filling again. (Windows makes a new, empty, temporary file).
You throw it away again, they put another empty one there.

So these files will always get recreated shortly after you clean, there is nothing in them until you start working again.
If you keep deleting them Windows will pause the recreating while it works out what is going on.
So it may look like you have finally got rid of them, but they will be back minutes later.
It's just the way that Windows works.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for the quick reply.  I had always been able to clear them all in about 2-3 passes, now they never clear.  I don't know what started me running the cleaner more than once in the first place, I was blissfully ignorant before.  Thanks for the explanation.  I won't worry about it then.  I'm mainly concerned with cache, cookies, browser history, etc...that firefox and other browsers are supposed to clear when I close them but never seem to do their job.  Thank you again.

• Moderators

Many things in the Live Tiles in Win10 causes it to re-download web-data almost immediately. I've personally removed all those and replaced them with actual program links/shortcuts instead, and after doing so I don't get a large amount of web-data re-accumulating. Edit: I should also note that I've uninstalled most of those pre-installed apps that I'd never use, including any that seemed to be broken out-of-the-box.

I've been running CCleaner twice, to get it down to 1 or 2  "trackers".  I noticed that when it's down to 1 sometimes it's a system file but usually it's an internet explorer cookie.  I never use IE.  I did uninstall the one live tile I was using.  The rest had already all been turned off, I didn't bother with them.  They didn't give the option to uninstall anyway.  🤷‍♀️

• Moderators

That IE cookie is almost always there.

(It's actually a file- C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie)

It's a 'deprecated' cookie, and nobody is quite sure where it comes from.
It's obviously something Windows that is creating it, but it can probably be created by more than one process that accesses the internet.

A deprecated cookie is a cookie that is no longer valid because it has been replaced with a newer version of that cookie

That particular one that CC keeps finding contains the text "Cookies are no longer stored in files.  Please use Internet*Cookie* APIs to access cookies."

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Thinking more about it,

It's probably something that Windows creates if/when an application tries to store a cookie as a file.
(or maybe just in case something does try).

That would make sense of the contents, it's a message meant to be read by whatever is trying to store a cookie as a file.

It should probably be ignored by CCleaner, if it bothers you then just add it to the Exclusion list in CCleaner.