Won't clean Chrome

SilvertonChuck

• Moderators

Read here to see if this solves the problem, if not come back and we can troubleshoot the problem more.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am using windows 8.1 and chrome was not closing for me when I ran ccleaner. I used the workarounds where you untick the box and also the new chrome has a pause feature on it , I did those two things and chrome cleared with no problem. Let me say this the newest version of ccleaner stopped working correctly for me. I am now using an older version. Does anyone know of a later version of ccleaner than 3.40 that works well?

• Moderators

Can I assume you mean ccleaner 5.40

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I'm using the latest build, some of my fellow moderators are using older versions though.

• Moderators

I'm using the newest CCleaner version as well, in my opinion it's not worth keeping an old version with those known bugs that could damage Windows (Font Cache cleaning, and Windows.old cleaning) as you're well aware and have been told about before.

Perhaps give Chrome Portable by PortableApps.com a try instead of using the installed version, it should behave and fully exit when told to do so.

To Andavari, you are not experiencing any problems with the newest version? Like I said above I used the newest version for about 10 days then it just cleaned 1/4 of what it normally did and I ran it again and it did the same thing. Did the version before this latest one work well? Thanks for responding. 

• Moderators

I'm not having issues with the newest version, other than having to start Microsoft Edge and then close it so that it can be cleaned, I also have History disabled/unticked under Internet Explorer so it doesn't take forever trying to clean nothing in it!

However I also use my own cleaners via winapp2.ini, and I've also grabbed some cleaners from the community winapp2.ini file to expand upon CCleaner's default cleaning abilities.

The biggest point is I only use the portable version of web browsers - they exit fully, and don't have anything left running in the background.

To Andavari, you are not experiencing any problems with the newest version? Like I said above I used the newest version for about 10 days then it just cleaned 1/4 of what it normally did and I ran it again and it did the same thing. Did the version before this latest one work well? Than