why do you ban people for saying "bump"

yeah3346

• Moderators

Because it's an empty post, it's annoying, it clutters the forum and the poster thinks that the thread is more important than all the others. Bad manners in other words. If a thread gets no response, then that's just how it is.

Like here https://communitybuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/2632/why-do-internet-forums-tend-to-prohibit-responding-to-inactive-threads

• Moderators

I see, you have made another account to complain about your previous ban.  (actually against forum rules)

here's an idea, instead of simply saying "bump" why not be a little more helpful and explain your own situation instead of jumping on someone else's thread and your first post and intro to the forums being bump.

so let's start again... go back to the Speccy thread and add your own thoughts to the discussion.  it may help members help you and may provide some useful Google search results down the track for others with a similar problem.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I can't remember the original username or the thread that was bumped, but Username5340958 (who is also banned) posted 'Just got banned by mta for saying "bump"'. I wouldn't say that bumping is a banning offence here, maybe a mild admonition and the bump deleted.

On 2/7/2019 at 23:24, Augeas said:

Because it's an empty post, it's annoying, it clutters the forum and the poster thinks that the thread is more important than all the others. Bad manners in other words. If a thread gets no response, then that's just how it is.

Like here https://communitybuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/2632/why-do-internet-forums-tend-to-prohibit-responding-to-inactive-threads

I responded to a thread that was a week old where mta was saying that the thread hadn't been noticed yet?

On 2/8/2019 at 01:07, mta said:

I see, you have made another account to complain about your previous ban.  (actually against forum rules)

here's an idea, instead of simply saying "bump" why not be a little more helpful and explain your own situation instead of jumping on someone else's thread and your first post and intro to the forums being bump.

so let's start again... go back to the Speccy thread and add your own thoughts to the discussion.  it may help members help you and may provide some useful Google search results down the track for others with a similar problem.

Didn't get here quick enough to delete this thread? a shame

• Moderators

if you want to move on and remove the chip from your shoulder, maybe we can address your problem.

All I'm seeing (again) is useless posts that add nothing to the conversation.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:23, mta said:

if you want to move on and remove the chip from your shoulder, maybe we can address your problem.

All I'm seeing (again) is useless posts that add nothing to the conversation.

If everything i post is useless, off topic and not worthy of your time why not let other people read my posts? Just ignore people if you don't find them worthy.

• Moderators

OK, let's step back a little and wrap this up. Yeah3346, you can post anything relevant to this forum as you wish, subject to the same rules as everyone, which I try to interpret (and don't always succeed) as don't post anything you wouldn't say face to face. Nobody holds any grudges and in a few days I for one will have forgotten your username or what you posted.

I think that we all appreciate that the original banning for bumping was harsh, so in future the quite rare bumps will just be deleted.

I'll close this thread now, enough has been said.

• Augeas locked this topic