Problems with playing videos

Willy2

- I need help for a nagging problem. I am still a happy user of Internet Explorer 11 on my Windows 7 system. Yes, I know it's (a bit) outdated but it still works good enough. There are - at least - 2 good reasons why I prefer IE 11 over e.g. Firefox and Chrome (I use the last 2 as well every now and then).
- But since say 2 weeks I am not able anymore to play videos (e.g. on YouTube) with IE 11. The message is "An error occurred. Try later again. ................. ". This error doesn't show up when I use Chrome or Firefox (I don't use them that often for a good reason).
- I tried several things. I removed several rollup updates (for IE 11, Windows and .NET). I removed and re-installed Flash, Java, VLC Player and REAL player, etc. etc. I tried all the suggestions that were made on the internet (thanks to GOOGLE) but it was all to no avail. The only thing I can do is changing the ActiveX settings but I don't know what boxes to tick or un-tick (in IE 11 ??).

- Does anyone have an explanation why this started to happen right now ?  Does anyone have suggestions to solve this problem ? Is it related to e.g HTML-5, Flash, Microsoft Edge/IE 11 or something else ?
- Lots of questions but GOOGLE failed to give any good answers. That's why I pose these questions here on this forum.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Hardware acceleration off?

ActiveX filtering on or off ?

Does it happen in safe mode?

Does it happen with a new user profile?

Does it happen if you run (as a test) IE11 in no addons mode?

As you don't say all the things you have tried I don't know what else to suggest.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

With all the tinkering to fix a "supposed browser, or system problem" has it occurred that the issue may be caused by YouTube (Google)? It's been speculated in the past (just a few months ago) in some tech YouTube videos that they intentionally didn't play nice with other browsers on YouTube (slow loading, etc.,) whereas Chrome/Chromium browsers had no such issues.

The speculated Firefox issues were real because I experienced them, but in the past few weeks or months YouTube must have "allowed it to run properly."

I have 2 systems with Win7 x64 and IE11.  Normally I use Chrome, but I tried using IE11 just to see what would happen.  I was able to play videos from YouTube and the NBC news website.  I didn't have to change any settings or install any updates.

If you have something specific to check, let me know and I'll look on my systems.

Is the Flash player up to date - ActiveX Version: 32.0.0.114

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

hi willy2,

i have tried this example with ie11 / w8.1 on youtube and it seems to work proberly with settings,

https://youtu.be/WXBHCQYxwr0

i have shockwave v.32.0.0.101 (the last updatesession was going in the pantys of my laptop) :D

but the loaded page looks a bit strange ...not for nothing is in the header of youtube: "Wir empfehlen Google Chrome für die Wiedergabe von YouTube-Videos - jetzt installieren" -> "We recommend Google Chrome for watching YouTube videos - install now"

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

- Thanks for all the replies. Especially the answer of Nikki605 gave me a good clue what to look for. With the help of CCleaner I sorted all the software installed on the "date installed" and removed all the software I installed this year (quite a long list). And yes, I was able to play Youtube videos again.

- Now I will re-install all the removed software again, one by one. Then I will be able to see what software causes YouTube to "malfunction". I fear some programs I use are - like IE 11 - (a bit) outdated. We'll have to wait and see what I'll come across.

• 2 weeks later...

- Odd, very odd. After re-installing most (not all) programs I removed before, I still can play videos without a problem on e.g. YouTube.

- But now I have a different video problem. I have a bunch of videos on my HD but some of these videos won't play with the installed (video) codec(s). I have to install a different codec pack to be able to play those videos, those trouble makers. But then other videos won't play. Then I have to (re-)install the old codec (again). And I think all this switching back and forth, all these codec changes ultimately caused the troubles in the first place (see the 1st post in this thread.)

- That brings up another question: Can anyone recommend a codec pack that contains every codec that is able to play every type of video with e.g Real Player or Windows Media Player ?

- I know, I know these 2 players are also (fairly) old but Real Player has one VERY nice feature I have become addicted to and I haven't seen that one feature in other media players (yet).

• Moderators

Perhaps give VLC Media Player a try, it has most codecs built into it without having to install/uninstall a meriad of codec packs. You could even give the portable version a try without having to make a commitment to system changes.

VLC Media Player - Install Version
VLC Media Player - Portable Version