latest version freeware detected as virus by Zemana and 3 times on virus total

markmark

My original download was from the link generated by ccleaner software to piriform website. Then i repeated it by downloading from FileHippo--both 'infected' on Virus Total.

Have just downloaded from your link- also shows 3 companies on VT as 'virus'. Last version number downloaded from FileHippo was clean and i installed it. It did not trigger Zemana unlike the current version. Suggest you download 552 and test on VT.

Shouldn't you take this a bit more seriously? Have you downloaded the std download--as i did --freeware- and tested it with Virus Total? After all there has been a major problem with ccleaner malware downloading not all that long ago (2017)? The std freeware download does nt offer a 'slim' version and i have never heard of such a thing! Where is it on your downloads page?

Regards mark

• Moderators

I am taking it seriously.

99.99% of the Virus Total listings are false positives because of the addons in the CCleaner full version.

Please try the slim build from here, it's what a lot of people (myself included) use

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

8 hours ago, hazelnut said:

I am taking it seriously.

99.99% of the Virus Total listings are false positives because of the addons in the CCleaner full version.

Please try the slim build from here, it's what a lot of people (myself included) use

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Yes thanks the 'slim' version doesn't trigger either zemana or virus total--so i presume virus free. May i ask what it is that's triggering the problem in the full version? I haven't noticed any toolbars.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, markmark said:

Yes thanks the 'slim' version doesn't trigger either zemana or virus total--so i presume virus free. May i ask what it is that's triggering the problem in the full version? I haven't noticed any toolbars.

Google toolbar or chrome or avast antivirus are the three possible offers given by the full installer.  Some AVs will flag this bundle and thus the false positives

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 1/24/2019 at 22:48, markmark said:

Just curious, did you extract the slim version installer with 7zip before scanning the folder with Zemana?

No, i tested with virus total first ,then thinking it was ok just installed it. Zemana did not issue any warning--unlike the same procedure with the std download which did trigger zemana without me starting a scan manually. I also run webroot, and this did not object to either installation.

22 minutes ago, markmark said:

No, i tested with virus total first ,then thinking it was ok just installed it. Zemana did not issue any warning--unlike the same procedure with the std download which did trigger zemana without me starting a scan manually. I also run webroot, and this did not object to either installation.

Zemana does not detect anything after you extract the installer and scan ccleaner.exe?

I got Zemana alert even on slim version "after" i extract the installer. I deleted the ccleaner.exe and use ccleaner64.exe instead just in case!

• Moderators

As regards to CCleaner.exe v5.52.6967:

Hashes:
MD5: F0F196FD71B9C7D65929861DD1BCFDCF
SHA-1: C31E7A531F0CF1406DE79966A821E9D349A14D2B
SHA-256: 00564FBE89D79BA9AA80A8C2A11C0F721E5FFDA0CA0549273A22CF270E52664F

Jotti states it's clean, scan results:
https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/svxxd6tsmv

VirusTotal states it's clean, scan results:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/00564fbe89d79ba9aa80a8c2a11c0f721e5ffda0ca0549273a22cf270e52664f/analysis/1548574791/

Edit:
On my own scanning it's been stated as clean by ClamWin, Dr.Web, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, and Panda. If Zemana Anti-Malware has a feature to submit a false positive or suspicious file perhaps go that route so they can remedy it, that is if they can since they use online scanning, and only have a small definition file installed locally.

Yes they can sort out false detections --I have told them of one or two in the past and received very prompt email acknowledgement. I am perfectly satisfied that this was a 'false' detection and have emailed them. I should emphasise Zemana is only promoted as a second line of defense.

7 hours ago, markmark said:

Yes they can sort out false detections --I have told them of one or two in the past and received very prompt email acknowledgement. I am perfectly satisfied that this was a 'false' detection and have emailed them. I should emphasise Zemana is only promoted as a second line of defense.

Yes ofc. I use several different scanners to be sure. JRT, Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, HitmanPro, and Zemana.

Even if said to be f/p i don't like to see anything detecting anything. So that is why i delete ccleaner.exe and use ccleaner64.exe  instead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Curious, does Zemana detect it if you move CCleaner.exe elsewhere to another folder, such as C:\Temp. Only curious because in the past some anti-malware would only trigger an alert if a file was in a specific path, i.e.; generic detection.

For some reason, today I scanned again the ccsetup553_slim.exe and get a positive hit on VirusTotal..

Same file IN my PC. Yesterday nothing, today 1 thing.

Compare it to yesterdays (above post) you see the second photo (expanded view) sure has a few more things.

Keep in mind, I have to say this again, This is a the same file IN MY PC that I scanned yesterday.

How is it more things are showing up in the expanded view today then yesterday?

Is it the site has more feedback and is smarter on the scan showing more things?

Is it now that the pop up consistently happened to install junk in the file? a trojan or something to search for this file to add more stuff?

I'm so confused why now it shows a positive on a file already downloaded in the PC and opened to set up Ccleaner. Does the program Ccleaner reconfigure this file?

virus total.JPG

virus total today 1.JPG

virus total today 2.JPG