Remove residual files after uninstalling an app from C:/ProgramData and C:/Users/%CURRENTUSER%/Appata

TheSpeedyBoy10

• Moderators

Revo uninstaller will do that job. And clear registry entries left behind by the uninstalled programme.

I'm not sure if Piriform want to add that functionality but it would fit well with the other tools in CCleaner.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Doesn't Revo only work if revo was installed and watching the other installers, or am I misremembering?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If you have Revo pro, or the trial, then you can do a 'Forced Uninstall' (or similar wording?).

That lets you use their log database to remove leftovers of stuff you had installed/uninstalled before you even got Revo.

As long as you know the programme name there should be a log to get rid of it's remnants.

But yes, the free version can only remove what it has 'seen' being installed.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

All the residue left behind should also give people pause if trying a bunch of Windows Store apps they have no real intention of ever keeping, those leave a ton of junk behind to the point their installation should actually be tracked with an install watcher type of program.

15 hours ago, nukecad said:

If you have Revo pro, or the trial, then you can do a 'Forced Uninstall' (or similar wording?).

That lets you use their log database to remove leftovers of stuff you had installed/uninstalled before you even got Revo.

As long as you know the programme name there should be a log to get rid of it's remnants.

But yes, the free version can only remove what it has 'seen' being installed.

This isn't entirely accurate as far as I understand it.

My understanding is that forced uninstall (in Revo pro / tiral) is to do with uninstalling left over junk which wasn't uninstalled via Revo, i.e. it was uninstalled using the native or windows uninstall options, or if you just manually deleted the program file/folder (hopefully most people know not to do that these days), then the forced uninstall would still be able to scan for leftover registry entries and files despite not initiating the uninstall itself.

Also the free version definitely does NOT need to monitor a programs installation in order to uninstall it, in fact the free version can't monitor an installation at all, that functionality is only available in the paid / trial versions (i.e. it's one of frees' limitations).

The free version NEEDS the program to  be installed to be able to uninstall a program, Revo (free) doesn't care if it was installed after the other program, it just cares the program is still intact, as it runs the native uninstaller first (after creating a restore point) than will scan the registry and hard drive after the installer has finished, it's important not to let the installer do a reboot (if it wants to) using the free version, as doing so means Revo won't scan for additional stuff, and won't be able to do so after a reboot. The paid versions can still scan after the reboot (using forced uninstall, but it's still probably better to defer reboot with the paid version too).

The other limitation of the free Revo is it can't do Universal Apps, (otherwise known as Metro/Windows Store Apps). There is another uninstaller called Geek Uninstaller which is free and can do those apps. And is comparable to Revo, the weakness of Geek Uninstaller compared to Revo, IMO, is it doesn't show you what will be deleted, it just deletes it, but does seem to do a comparable job to Revo set to medium. (I only know about this one as Revo only had the 32-bit cleaner available for many years, while Geek Uninstaller had both 32/64bit cleaning during that time, but I prefer Revo since it shows you what's going to be deleted and gives the option to change it, and it also means you can do a manual scan for similar entries in the registry and on disk as both programs still miss things at times).