Feature Previews on v5.48.6834

Aelson

• Moderators

I would suspect that it is something that has been enabled but not used yet.

From my reading of the release notes it seems like a beta-testing thing where you may be invited to try something new before anyone else - when there is something new to try.

The notes say that 'in future' there will be an opt-out.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

14 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I would suspect that it is something that has been enabled but not used yet.

From my reading of the release notes it seems like a beta-testing thing where you may be invited to try something new before anyone else - when there is something new to try.

The notes say that 'in future' there will be an opt-out.

I read it as enforced beta tester recruitment (as they've added it to the main program with no opt out) with the ability to enable/disable features remotely. I'm not touching any update until that opt out is added.

• Moderators

Probably what all the AVs are shouting about.

See various other new threads.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks JDPower for your input. Yes, at this time user can't opt-out.

As they mentioned on the link, at this time users randomly get selected for "feature previews".

"In the future we will add support for opting out of feature previews, so if you’re not interested in potentially being selected for this, you can remain on version 5.47 for the time being."

I noticed the bug for Edge has b en resolved in this version. Since the  Windows 10 version 1803 and also in 1809, it asked me to close Edge.

What I did was to open Edge and then close it and then run CCleaner again and that time it didn't ask me to close Edge. But on Win10 1809, that didn't work so I had to uninstall CCleaner version CCleaner v5.47.

@nukecad I have KIS 19.0.0.1088(C) but when installing CCleaner v5.48.6834, everything was okay.

Any idea?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 12:07, Aelson said:

I read about " Feature Previews" on https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements

But didn't find anything about it in the CCleaner v5.48 after installing it.

On 10/26/2018 at 04:39, Aelson said:

...As they mentioned on the link, at this time users randomly get selected for "feature previews".

"In the future we will add support for opting out of feature previews, so if you’re not interested in potentially being selected for this, you can remain on version 5.47 for the time being."...

Hi Aelson:

Just an FYI that I unzipped the portable build of CCleaner v5.49.6856 (rel. 12-Nov-2018) on a USB thumb drive and can't see any new setting in the GUI that would allow users to opt out of the Feature Previews added in v5.48.  There's also no mention of an opt-out setting in the v5.49 release announcement at https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements.

I'll guess be sticking with the old CCleaner v5.47.6716 until someone from Avast/Piriform can clarify what's going on with Feature Previews and the possibility of unexpected (forced) product updates for beta-testing.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.15.1.8 * CCleaner Portable v5.47.6716

Edited by lmacri

• Moderators

AFAIK the first/only/current 'feature preview' is "Quick Clean".
Stepen Piriofrm has a few comments about it in this thread:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52831-quick-clean/?tab=comments#comment-300832

I'm not sure if the feature previews are included (randomly) in the portable or not?
I would suspect not, I'm guessing that the feature previews will get added by the installer, which portable doesn't have.
(But that's only a guess, how can you reliably test something that is random anyway?)

And of course unless you have the feature preview yourself then you have no chance of helping someone who may have a problem with it.
If you don't have the fearure then you can't even do any testing to see if you can replicate their problem.

As JDPower says-
At the moment it's beta testing new features - without even telling the user that they are beta testing features.
And of course the only way that can work is by collecting 'anonymous' test data without telling the user either.
(Maybe if you have data collection turned off in the privicay tab you won't get the feature previews?).

Piriform realy must try harder and give more relevant information and explanations when/before adding things (or making changes), and also be a lot quicker to answer questions about any new features when asked.

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

Piriform realy must try harder and give more relevant information and explanations when/before adding things (or making changes), and also be a lot quicker to answer questions about any new features when asked.

Couldn't agree more. This is the second time in the post Avast era they've added something that went against the Piriform ethos, and for the first time ever (and I've been here 14 years), I no longer trust CCleaner/Piriform. Piriform was always really attentive to issues like this that were raised, part of what got them where they are (and got them trusted). Users in this forum always felt like participants in the programs progress. Now it seems there's an unstoppable roadmap in place of where Avast wants to take it, and to hell with keeping the users informed, or listening to them.

And the thread Nukecad links to just shows what a confusing shambles this whole random feature preview thing is - you've got a new member signing up to ask for help, and extremely long term members/helpers AND MODERATORS, who just look stupid cos they have no idea what's going on cos they've never even SEEN the feature that isn't working!

It's just stupid. Either roll features out to all users, or have a beta branch.

(I'll quit whinging and go away now ^_^ )

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thoroughly confused.  The v5.48 release notes at https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements/2018/10/25/ccleaner-v5486834 state that "in the future we will add support for opting out of feature previews, so if you’re not interested in potentially being selected for this, you can remain on version 5.47 for the time being."

The v5.50 release notes posted today at https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements/2018/11/29/ccleaner-v5506911 state in part:

Software Updates
Based on your feedback this version offers more control and transparency over when updates are performed. More information on these changes can be found on the CCleaner Blog.

• Added new menu: ‘Options’ > ‘Updates’
  • Moved ‘Inform me of updates to CCleaner’ setting to the ‘Updates’ menu
  • Replaced ‘Enable silent background updates’ setting with separate settings for automatic product updates and product update notifications
  • Added new settings to control important updates and their notifications
  • Automatic product updates are now enabled for anyone upgrading to CCleaner Professional (these can be disabled in the ‘Updates’ menu)

I read today's blog entry Introducing New and Improved CCleaner Update Settings! and still have no idea if Feature Previews would fall into the category of  "Important Updates (highly recommended)" or "Product Updates (recommended)" - or perhaps neither.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.15.1.8 * CCleaner Portable v5.47.6716

• Moderators

I'd say neither.

'Feature previews' are not 'Updates'.

'Feature previews' are 'do some (unasked) beta testing for us'.