CCleaner and closing of Microsoft Edge Browser issue

Moondoggy

Everyone,

I have noticed this about CCleaner and was wondering if anyone can explain this behavior.

Up until recently, I was using Microsoft Edge as my default browser on my PC so I didn't find it unusual when CCleaner prompted me to force close Edge when cleaning my system.  However about a week ago I switched to Firefox as my default browser.  Although I still have Microsoft Edge installed, I've not used it since I changed over to Firefox but each and every time I run CCleaner I'm still getting prompts stating that the Edge browser is open and must be closed.  Is CCleaner seeing something thinking that Edge is open when it's not or is Edge really open and obstructing CCleaner until it's closed.  Is there a way to resolve this so I don't get prompted?

• Moderators

Other Microsoft apps that you have installed/running are probably still using Edge which is why it is still showing as being open.

It's not just the Edge browser that uses it, things like Skype, Cortana, and other MS apps (and other 3rd party apps) could be using it to connect to the internet, or using it's storage locations.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Please see this thread I started in the 'bug' section.  Issue has been reported to Piriform and they're working on a fix for this as well as other issues.

EDIT:  @nukecad is entirely correct.  Many Windows background processes use Edge and Internet Explorer even if you've never opened those browsers.  Example -- restart your computer and if you do not open Edge, you will find that it is running.  Adding to this issue, especially on Windows 10, the feature and cumulative updates change the paths that CCleaner uses.  Makes things difficult for Piriform to keep up with and when you get Windows updates that break things or get suspended or pulled, that delays bug fixes as well.

Edited by crizal
added information

Thanks for the info.  I don't know if anything else is using Edge but Cortana was on my system.  I did a search on this issue and found PCWorld article about an app called EdgeDeflector and after installing the program I had Cortana do a search and instead of using Edge before the install, it used Firefox afterwards.  Will see how CCleaner behaves now that it's installed.  Perhaps it won't do anything differently as the program doesn't actually change anything regarding Edge it only deflects Cortana to use the default browser.  Here's the link if anyone's interested.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3174548/windows/how-to-force-cortana-to-use-your-default-browser.html

8 hours ago, Moondoggy said:

Thanks for the info.  I don't know if anything else is using Edge but Cortana was on my system.  I did a search on this issue and found PCWorld article about an app called EdgeDeflector and after installing the program I had Cortana do a search and instead of using Edge before the install, it used Firefox afterwards.  Will see how CCleaner behaves now that it's installed.  Perhaps it won't do anything differently as the program doesn't actually change anything regarding Edge it only deflects Cortana to use the default browser.  Here's the link if anyone's interested.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3174548/windows/how-to-force-cortana-to-use-your-default-browser.html

Nice information to have.  I have Cortana disabled but there are many things going on behind the scenes.  It is a bit of a pain but I do understand CCleaner can't do its thing if Edge is running.  We will have to see what Piriform can come up with.