Zone Alarm Installation

TheFiresInTheSky

the first time i tried to install it, my power went out in the middle of it. i dont know if that effects it but now it wont install. heres the error i get...

aaaformat3xi.png

EDIT: i just found out that the files are there in C>program files>zone alarm but its not even starting up. i tried to uninstall it and this is what i got...

aaaformat0al.png

• Moderators

Start your computer in Safe Mode! Not sure which option you need to choose however first start without Networking Support, and if that doesn't work try it with Networking Support to re-install ZA in Safe Mode.

ZoneAlarm version 5.5 and above have always failed to install properly on my system in Normal Mode, I've always had to use Safe Mode. The same goes for uninstalling it.

tried, same thing, this happens with ALL installations. i save the installation and it has always worked on other computers and i try to put it on my other computer and it comes up saying it cant find the temp file. how do i repair that?

• Moderators

Try installing it again and when you get to that error hit alt+ctrl+del and go to processes. See if you see any of the below process

zlclient.exe

vsmon.exe

If you do stop them and then press ok.

• Moderators

For some odd reason it always failed on my system with the can't create temp file, etc., error whenever I tried to run it from my D:\ drive. Therefore as stupid as it may seem; make sure you run the ZA setup.exe file from the C:\ drive. I'd suggest copying it into C:\Temp and then run it from there. It also wouldn't hurt to disable as many running programs as possible including antivirus resident shields since the installer is so finicky about creating temp files and it's best if nothing interrupts it.

If all else fails as it did several times in my case as I was back and forth between using ZA and removing it I had to use Unlocker to forcefully delete the locked/protected files ZoneAlarm had partially and incorrectly installed, which ZA subsequently refused to uninstall because of the botched installation. Doing that "may" allow it to install correctly, nonetheless using Unlocker on the partially installed files is the only way I know of to remove the locked/protected files since they after all won't uninstall.

Good luck!

alright, i run the exe and it tries to copy files to local settings/temp as in a bunch of dll's and such. i stopped EVERYTHING basically and it still wont run. how can i delete all of my temp files even if they are being used?

• Moderators

how can i delete all of my temp files even if they are being used?

1. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP you can use

Unlocker:

Right click the files to remove and select: Unlocker

With Unlocker open on the bottom left select: Delete

On the right select: Unlock All

Reboot

1. If you're on any other Windows OS 9x/Me you could use

HijackThis:

Run HijackThis

Select: Open the Misc Tools section

Select: Delete a file on reboot

With HijackThis you'll have to manually select each file one at a time and select No to reboot until you've selected the last file. After you've selected all files let it reboot Windows.

Note: I'm thinking the part of ZA that is giving you trouble is the TruVector portion since it protects itself from tampering, well at least that was the portion that made it very difficult (nearly impossible) for me to remove the partially installed ZA from my system.

Also if/when you're able to remove the partially installed files make sure you run CCleaner's 'Cleaner' and 'Issues' to make sure it cleans up any leftovers.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you, however if you're using Windows XP use a restore point from a previous day before you attempted to install ZoneAlarm.

Edit:

What's listed below is from the ZA version 5.5 watched installation, I don't know if the files are the same in newer versions however you may also need to remove the following files and folders to aid in the removal or installation:

C:\Program Files\Zone LabsC:\WINDOWS\Internet LogsC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabsC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsconfig.xmlC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsdata.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsdatant.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsinit.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsmonapi.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vspubapi.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsregexp.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsutil.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vsxml.dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\zlcomm.dllC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\zlcommdb.dll