increasing Memory usage

raymondtm

• Moderators

There's no a "memory optimizer" in it so no it doesn't have such a feature. Also don't fall into believing that you need a memory optimizer they're complete bulls**t to be blunt that can actually cause performance to suffer. Windows can manage the memory itself.

Edit:
If you're having memory related issues such as an app/program claiming there isn't enough the solution is to buy more RAM.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, raymondtm said:

51 minutes ago, raymondtm said:

Is there anything in CCleaner to help minimize or reset the Memory usage that steadily increases over time?  I'm using Windows 10.

No, but if you mean that your ram usage, as seen in the task manager, constantly increases as you are using the computer then you may have what is called a memory leak.

This is where a process allocates itself some memory but doesn't free it up again after use, so the memory in use keeps growing.
Restarting the computer will clear the memory usage down but it will then start increasing again.

Try using the inbuilt memory diagnostic tool:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-7

More info on finding and fixing memory leaks:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/memory-leaks-in-windows

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

- Install PcWinTech's CLEANMEM.

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

- The program reduces the amount of "In Use" memory and pushes that to the "Standby" part of the memory. Then the regular memory  management will be forced to make decisions on what to do next. The program will also reduce the impact of memory leaks.

- The program also can collapse the file cache. I have come across a filecache of GBs and then that DOES turn one's system into a snail with heavy disk I/O.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Sounds to me like the standard Windows issue: Too many unnecessary programs and possibly some services running at startup. Optimize the system by disabling unnecessary and non-essential startup programs.

Also on Win10 try to have at the minimum 8GB RAM installed which many consider enough for most non-power users. Personally I have 16GB.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Andavari said:

Also on Win10 try to have at the minimum 8GB RAM installed which many consider enough for most non-power users. Personally I have 16GB.

I have 4GB and everything is quick. Perhaps I'm just lucky :)

raymondtm, 

Try turning off windows Fast startup also known as fastboot.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

- "BlackViper" has some sound advice regarding the amount of memory (although it's from the year 2008).

http://www.blackviper.com/2008/03/04/how-much-memory-do-i-need-for-my-computer-what-is-the-maximum-supported-for-my-particular-os/

- My personal opinion is that one only should start (!!!) to worry about memory usage when the "In Use" part of the memory is and remains above say 70% to say 80% of total memory for a (very) long time.

- If even installing CLEANMEM (see above) doesn't help to keep memory usage much lower (under say 70% to 80% of total memory), then and only then I would start to consider buying more memory.

• Moderators
On 9/16/2018 at 00:01, hazelnut said:

I have 4GB and everything is quick. Perhaps I'm just lucky :)

If the system is using an integrated Intel GPU that relies upon available system RAM which is probably one of the reasons many recommend 8GB RAM, and why most computers (at a certain price point) have at least 8GB (note that low priced systems may only have 4GB to 6GB).

Thanks everyone for your replies!  Here  is a better explanation of the issue, and the 3 current resolutions that I've found so far.

I am running a HP laptop, with 8 GB ram, and Windows 10.   I consider 1.6 GB mem usage, as shown by Task Manager, as my baseline number.  That's because it always resets to 1.6 GB  when one of these three things occur.  After getting the usage reset to 1.6 GB by one of the 3 methods, then the usage begins to creep up over time as I use the computer, and after it reaches about 4 GB then I perform one of these 3 things:

1.  when Windows does an update, and reboots, the usage is 1.6 GB

2.  when I download and run Norton Power Eraser.  When it reboots, it goes back to 1.6 GB

3.  And now a new procedure, thanks to nukecad above, which is running mdsched .  After reboot, its back to 1.6 GB

-  Install PcWinTech's CLEANMEM. Then there's no need to reboot your system to get memory usage lower. Because it runs every 15 minutes using Task Scheduler and then reduces memory usage. The program uses an API that's build into Windows itself (Windows XP and newer).

• Moderators
10 hours ago, raymondtm said:

after it reaches about 4 GB then I perform one of these 3 things

Are you just worried about it reaching the usage of 4GB? Or do you actually have some noticeable RAM related issue such as programs and/or Windows giving RAM/memory related error dialogs?

Thanks, Willy2, I may try that.  I'll report results.

Thanks, Andavari, i'm not concerned just because of the number 4 GB.  Sometimes it gets higher than that, but since I've discovered methods to reduce it, i use them when the number gets to around 4 GB.  That's fairly arbitrary. And yes, when the usage approaches 4 GB and higher there is a noticeable slow down of general operation of the laptop. 

• Moderators

Something to consider is if you have an SSD as your boot drive where Windows is installed is to disable things such as the memory caching feature for Samsung SSDs, in Samsung Magician SSD software it's called Rapid Mode. For Crucial/Micron SSDs (common to have them in modern laptops) in Storage Executive it's called Momentum Cache.

Only reason I even bring that up is because using such caching features uses allot of RAM, 4GB is what some people have stated, and from what I was reading last night trying to figure out if I wanted to enable them it seems some people have issues with them especially if the system doesn't have 16GB or even 32GB of RAM installed.

i have 8 gb in my laptop with w8.1 and from time to time it seems to be slowdown as raymondtm says...

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

perhaps its a windows-thing - after many years and updates... can help format c: and a new (clean) install of windows ;-)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

Slowdown or sluggish behaviour can happen if using a traditional magnetic hard disk instead of an SSD.

Also if you've applied a common "tweak" such as manually adjusting the size of the PageFile instead of just letting Windows automatically manage it that can cause some RAM issues - like a program stating there isn't enough available.

On 24.9.2018 at 21:21, raymondtm said:

Trium, when your slowdown occurs, have you checked the mem usage in the Task Manger?

no, i have not looked for memory usage. i will looking in the future... normally are 2,5 gb are in usage

16 hours ago, Andavari said:

Slowdown or sluggish behaviour can happen if using a traditional magnetic hard disk instead of an SSD.

yes, especially if windows think to create an restore point or other things in kingsize (gb´s) like an dumpfile or so