DFF Problem?

Charles Robinson

I asked Support for this problem but they said they did not see what was wrong.  Also, I don't know how to make THIS forum entry single spaced.  Also, I forgot how to open a new ticket to Support, and the old problem has been closed so I cannot update it.  I am using a current CCleaner/DFF, W10 64bit desktop PC, and I did NOT have "C:" checked. 
I have attached the screenshots of my search (I only want to find LOG files, btw), and the results page (DFF essentially found ALL files that are on my HD.
Here is my problem ticket email:

John Kelly (Piriform Support)

Aug 9, 14:47 EDT

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
First of all, I sincerely apologize for the delayed response as we've recently received a much higher than normal volume of support requests.
Secondly, from your screenshot I see nothing wrong, except I do see you mouse on C: without the *.log. Did you by chance have C: and C:\*.log checkmarked when you found all files?
If not, I am going to see a screenshot of the rules for C:\*.log as well as a screenshot with the erroneous results.

Kind regards,

John K | CCleaner Support - Wichita, Ks.

Cwr64

Jul 27, 16:37 EDT

I tried to use CCleaner tool DFF "Add" to find only duplicate log files on my "C" drive - as in files having suffix *.log 
But DFF seems to find all files. What am I doing wrong? Please see attached screen shot.

Attachment(s)

find.PNG

results.PNG

• Moderators

Moved to the ccleaner discussion board.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I note from your screenshots that in the shot showing your Include rules there is a scrollbar at the right of the list.

This indicates that there are more rules in that list if you scroll down. How many of those rules are selected? (I know that at least one is).

All the files you show found as duplicates are on your J:\ drive. - That's how I know that at least one other rule is selected, probably J:\*.*

(I guess John K wasn't looking closely enough).

PS.1 - Make sure when setting the rule for C:\*.log that you change 'Include files only' to 'Include files and subfolders'.

PS.2 - To get a single line return (rather than a paragraph space) in the post editor here you have to use shift+enter.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Ah yes, that was it.  I did not notice the scrollbar and of course DFF had selected all my other drives as well as the C drive.  Should have been obvious but I missed it. J drive is my external HD "My Book".

The dbl spacing in my post came from when I pasted the email I had received into the post.  It took up a lot of screen room and I wanted to get rid of the dbl spaced lines. 

And I did finally find how to submit a problem to Support without having to log in (I don't have a login).

I would close this ticket but I don't see how to do that.

Edited by Charles Robinson
Close ticket?