May Update News

MrG

• Admin

Morning all,

Just a quick post to keep everyone updated.

* A new version of CC will be out in the next week or so, which will fix the remaining IE7 incompatibility and some bugs in the Uninstall tool that stops a few applications being displayed.

* We've released a new redesigned Piriform website, which contains a bit more information, but is mainly to replace the very basic site that was there before.

* An updated help section is close to being finished, so hopefully it will stop people asking the same questions in the forum - and also provide more useful info for everyone.

:D

MrG

The Piriform website says "The best software is free!", free is can be interpreted in many ways, such as in the sense of freedom and in gratis (free of charge). Example;

* Free as in free beer.

* Free as in freedom.

Now while the best software may be free of charge, I would also argue that the best software is free of unnescesary bundled junk like toolbars.

And how can it be free, if I cant alter it, cant inspect the source code, etc?

To me, it is free of charge. But it isnt much more free than that in that sense.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Congrats the website looks good and all.

Things that make you go hmmm; I've never understood why some companies have a website just to announce one software title, especially when that software title already has a website of its very own.

The Piriform website says "The best software is free!", free is can be interpreted in many ways, such as in the sense of freedom and in gratis (free of charge). Example;

* Free as in free beer.

* Free as in freedom.

Now while the best software may be free of charge, I would also argue that the best software is free of unnescesary bundled junk like toolbars.

To me, it is free of charge. But it isnt much more free than that in that sense.

Well said.

Haven't we said it enough times already...? Or maybe 'nag' would be a better verb here...

And you continue to troll... ...why?

Users are free to express their opinions and give feedback about the software. It is after all encouraged. Sorry if you cannot handle it or don't like it, but it's something you'll just have to deal with.

Yet another f***ing thread gone to hell. It needs to be locked.

Agreed. :(

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

* Free as in free beer.

* Free as in freedom.

Then don't use it. Build your own.

Nice Work MrG :)

I like the new Website, It does look alot better than the previous page on there and I'm looking forward to the future projects you mention :)

Regarding the Toolbar, I really do not understand why it keeps being mentioned on here, I understand that people were worried when it was first added to Ccleaner and were maybe thinking it will become a required part of the install but MrG always releases versions without the Toolbar so that is not an issue, even for people who get the full version its very simple to uncheck the box and not download the toolbar so it does appear that some people are looking for confrontations and are maybe just using the toolbar as an excuse.

I appreciate being able to use Ccleaner for free as it's an excellent program but we need to understand that there is a business side which is required if they wish to continue developing Ccleaner and other projects. If they do not make any income then it would be difficult for them to continue in the long term as there is running costs for Website Hosting, Bandwidth charges, Domain Names, Forums etc.. so I think its kind of them to do it this way and try generate a small amount of money without forcing anyone to install the Toolbar.

I think Adobe is a good example and they are alot bigger than Piriform so Im suprised the people who are finding a problem with Ccleaner do not take the same issue up with Macromedia (Now Adobe) for installing Yahoo's Toolbar with the Flash Player, Shockwave player, Adobe Reader etc...

To me this part of Adobe's FAQ sums it up well:

Why is the Yahoo! Toolbar being distributed from the Macromedia website?

Macromedia is offering the Yahoo! Toolbar for download from its website as part of a larger agreement and relationship with Yahoo!.

<snip>

In addition, Macromedia is committed to continuing to offer the Flash Player on desktop computers for free. Partnerships like this one with Yahoo! enable us to support this business model and also allow us to invest far more in new functionality, testing, documentation, and tooling than we could without it. We think the new innovation that will be possible because of this, will make a big positive impact on the developer community.

I appreciate its a different company but I believe the reasons behind it are the same, If the people who do not want the toolbar included at all are able to build an application and host it, then open up sites to promote it and forums to support people who use it, all without getting anything back then Id love to see them try stay in business for more than 6 months :)

Andy